Cabinet Hinge Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Since moving into my current house about 4 years ago I've wanted to rid the house of the "classic" white oak cabinets. However, it's not really been the highest priority and everytime I think about sinking money into the kitchen I get scared off.

Well ... now I think we are just going to paint them ... errr, have someone paint them. After seeing a couple of kitchen makeovers including painted cabinetry on this site, I think that is the best decision to change the look and not kill the budget -- especially in this economy.

So ... a couple questions ...

1. Grain filler. I was thinking about using a grain filler before the painter starts. I have a water based grain filler from Target Coatings on my shelf. Think that will work? Any feedback on grain filling the cabinets?

2. Hinges. Here is a picture of the hinges installed today. Old school. What other options are available that will fit nicely into the same holes of these? Do I have any options?
IMG_9296.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Jeremy,
if your gonna fill grain and paint then you can fill screw holes.But you still are gonna be limited to that style of hinge.You can change the material that they are made from.Are you going to change appliance's,if you go to Stainless then you could change the hinges to stainless.If yu wanted to go to a blum or something similar you could probably bore the cup hole and fill any remaining screw holes.You just have to match up your overhang.I've got all Blum hinges and slides and have never had a problem.
Greg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy,
if your gonna fill grain and paint then you can fill screw holes.But you still are gonna be limited to that style of hinge.You can change the material that they are made from.Are you going to change appliance's,if you go to Stainless then you could change the hinges to stainless.If yu wanted to go to a blum or something similar you could probably bore the cup hole and fill any remaining screw holes.You just have to match up your overhang.I've got all Blum hinges and slides and have never had a problem.
Greg

I'd like to go the Blum route ... if possible without too much headache. I wonder how bad it would be to drill the holes with the cabinets on the wall (since I can't remove them easily)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I drilled all the holes for the cabinets I just built on the wall without issue. You can get Blum faceframe type hinges with overlay that very well may work. Check wwhardware.com and they have application sheets on there.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
As far as drilling the doors and cabinet frames there are jigs that make it nice and easy.I use to work at Blum so all the jigs are here somewhere.I had a hinge boring machine but did not use it enough to warrant keeping it.I do have the manual edge guide for locating the 35mm cup and the two pins or the screws ,I also have the drawer slide locater jig.I'll look around.I typed overhang before but ment overlay,I have the full application book for Blum hinges so if you tell me what your working with we can figure out what hinges you will need to buy.I have some clip-ons but not enough for your whole kitchen.Talk to you later,

Greg

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Those doors appear to be rabbeted for offset hinges--------if you are thinking blum hinges better check it out real good to get the right hinges or if they have a hinge that will work with rabbeted door edges.

I just finished hanging cabinet doors using the blum compact hinges for 1/2" overlay on face frames. I did have the boring head to drill cup/screw holes in the doors, no sweat in hanging them as long as your frame work is in good shape.

good luck!!

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS