Cabinet drawer bottom question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have a question concerning the 1/4 inch plywood that usually goes in the bottom of a drawer. These drawers are on slides and go into a pantry cabinet that is 23" deep by 18" across. Is 1/4 " heavy enough for pantry bottoms? Lorraine

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Lorriane,

I guess the first question that should be answered is "what will be going into these drawers"? Once you determine that, you will have a good idea as to whether 1/4" is enough or not. Now, IMHO, unless you are going to be loading it down with a lot of heavy skillets and such, I would think you should be fine with it. How are you capturing the bottom in the sides and front? Groove? Another thing you can do is to put glue blocks on the bottom that contact the front, and both sides (see attachment). This will help strengthen the bottom. Also, how much room is there between the bottom of the drawer bottom and the bottom of the front, sides? Hope this helps. Btw, in the attachment there are two shapes of glue blocks that are used frequently, either one is ok.

Mike

Attachments

• drawer support.xls
    14 KB · Views: 172

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Lorraine,

I think Michael caught all the good points in his post. If you feel that a groove plus corner glue blocks arent enough, you can always go with 3/8" ply. Not much more in cost and not much of a design change, but that is a 50% increase in thickness.

Ray

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
These drawers that I am working on now will hold can goods, the normal things that go in a kitchen pantry. I think I will use the glue blocks. I like that idea. I will cut the bottoms with a 1/4" dado cut. Any rules for number of blocks per inch? My drawers are about 23" deep and 17" across.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Lorraine,

Since I have an engineering background, I always go for belt and suspenders designs. I'd suggest a triangular block in each corner and one halfway beteeen each corner (along the sides, back and front). That'll hold the cans.

Ray

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Drawer botom construction is often determined by the type of slides used. If full extension side mounted slides are used, then use 1/4" baltic birch in a groove cut into sides and front of drawer. If 3/4 extension slides that wrap around the intersection of side and bottom, then just attach 1/4" baltic birch to bottom of drawer box. The weight of the bottom will be directly transfered to slides. If you have a pocket screw jig, fronts can be pocket screwed to sides. Add an overlay false front of your choice. You might want to get hold of a copy of Danny Proulx's book on building kitchen cabinets. Lots of pictures and cutting diagrams.

J

jeff...

This is a very interesting question. I know how I make up my own drawers and slides, but I just kind of copied what I seen done in higher end furniture. Not saying it's right or wrong just wondering how everyone else does it. So any information you can share would be most appreciated.

I really like the idea of using those white slides that attach to the bottom of the drawer sides and the side of case. I priced them at lowes and they are quite expensive but then again most everything at lowes is expensive. I also have my doubts if those drawer slides would last for the long haul. Seems since they are mechanical they will wear out pretty quick.

Thanks

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Jeff, you can get the white side/bottom mount a lot cheaper on line than at the BORG. I have bought them for less than 5$ a pair. For that matter, I have a wwhardware catalog in my hand and 3/4 extension 22" slides are $4.27 a pair not including the 15% off coupon through year end.

As far as lasting, I have primarily bought Blum, and have some that have had heavy use for 10 plus years with no issues.

J

jeff...

Jeff, you can get the white side/bottom mount a lot cheaper on line than at the BORG. I have bought them for less than 5$ a pair. For that matter, I have a wwhardware catalog in my hand and 3/4 extension 22" slides are $4.27 a pair not including the 15% off coupon through year end.

As far as lasting, I have primarily bought Blum, and have some that have had heavy use for 10 plus years with no issues.

Travis, cool - I need some 20"ers, you have convinced me. I'm going to give them a try on my daughters desk. Could you kindly point me to the source your speaking of and I'll order 4 pairs.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS