Building Jointer Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
One of the power tools that I inherited from my father is an old Craftsman 6" jointer. The problem is that he had it mounted on a bench that was built into his workshop. When I brought the jointer home, I couldn't bring the bench, so I am going to have to build a new stand. The stand will not only have to accomodate the jointer, but the motor that drives the v-belt pulleys. I think that I want the stand to be on wheels, but maybe I don't.

Does anyone have any suggestions on building the jointer stand and attaching the motor so that the belt can be adjusted easily. The motor base has adjustment slots.

I'm thinking that I can build the base from 2 X 4 stock using half-lap joints, glue and screws from strength, but am looking for suggestions from the SMEs.

Thanks for any guidance.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have an old lathe with a belt drive. The motor is mounted on a board on a hinge so the the weight of the motor tensions the belt. And it allow adjustablity for the step pulley speed control. You wouldn't need that much room for adjustment but you could try that method

2 x 4 and half lap with screws and glue will be just fine for the stand construction. You might consider making it extra beafy or adding weight to help reduce vibration and add stability.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sounds good to me. For some of the mounting you will have to do, I would probably use t nuts as IMO threaded inserts do not hold very well. I agree with the extra weight. Maybe make your shelf or bottom or something into a box and put sand in it. As for wheels I think they have their own blessings and their own issues. The ones at HD and Lowes really don't work well and you want a set that locks very well if you do get some. The best I have found for the cheapest price are from Grizzly. The double lock and will roll over some stuff. If you don't put wheels initially you could always add them later just allowing for the heights with legs or something.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
How is it set up for dust collection? If the chips just fall out of the bottom oyu might want to put in on a cabinet and build a chute to a DC hookup. It will be top heavy without some extra mass at the bottom and even worse when you are jointing a longer board. If you do put it on casters definitely go with the earlier advice and get good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS