Brush-On Lacquer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Does anyone have any experience with brush-on lacquer? I can't seem to keep bubbles from appearing. The lacquer is being applied over some walnut with a bristle brush.

Thanks for any suggestions.

tv

woodnick

New User
Nick
I have two suggestions that may help: 1st- do not shake the Lacquer in the can and if you pour it in another container pour it very slowly. 2nd it could be moisture in the wood or Lacquer. I put on two coats then sand with 400 grit then 2 more coats then sand with 800 grit then polish with buffing conpound.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Thanks. I did stir the can but I don't think that I shook it. Moisture may have been an issue. Looks like I will be doing some sanding to get rid of the 1st layer of bubbles. Thanks again for the tips.

tv

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
you might try a sponge brush. i usually put a coat or two of watco danish oil first to pop the grain and seal the walnut. then i spray the laquer or wipe on with a rag. sounds like air is trying to escape from the pores. sealing first helps with that. pics?:-D

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
FredP, I did put a couple of coats of Waterlox on prior to brushing on the lacquer. Could the Waterlox possibly still be releasing solvents and causing bubbles? I know that a couple of the panels had several days of sitting with just the Waterlox.

I might be able to get a pic or two that will show the problem. If one sands between coats (in my case I need to sand) should I sand with or without lacquer thinner?

tv

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
waterlox should have done the same as D O im no expert at finnishing by any stretch.8-O i have had this happen when i didnt use oil first but....
also i have never used waterlox so i cant speak to that.:oops: maybe one of the resident pro's will chime in here soon.

fred p

rhett

New User
rhett
The air bubbles are trapped air in the the open pores of the walnut. A strong blast of compressed air prior to application will help this. If moisture was present, you would have blushing. Using lacquer sealer or thinned lacquer is an essential first step when using any type of lacquer finish. Can I assume you are using nitrocellulose? A foam brush will dissolve if used with lacquer. Sand it down with some 220 till the surface is level. Thinner is not needed. Reapply a second coat with a high quality natural bristle brush in long fluid strokes.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I am using nitrocellulose. Thanks for the input, rhett. I spoke today with someone that refinishes furniture. He thought I was crazy for using a brush and encouraged me to buy a sprayer. I am sure an HVLP would be quicker than what I am doing now.

If I were to go HVLP, any thoughts? I know Rockler has a line of sprayers, HF has the less expensive ones, and Woodcraft (when they open, hopefully soon). I won't be doing a lot of spraying so I don't think I need a $250 sprayer.

tv

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If you go with HVLP and have a compressor, the conversion guns work well and are cheap. If you don't have a compressor, several members have gotten the Rockler and the Harbor Freight and I believe have been satisfied with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS