Benchs!!!!! Feeling Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I finally have one complete bench. This on is already being put to use making the other two. I have all the half blind dovetails done on the other two. I should be able to complete the aprons on the other two tops and at least get them glued on tomorrow.

completecherrybench.jpg

The plugs are blackwood. They cover the lag bolts that hold the side apron onto the bench top. I put a couple quick coats of Seal A Cell on it. That is all a working bench needs. The pattermakers vise is a pain to install, but worth the trouble. They are awsome!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Fantastic looking bench John.:icon_thum I love the look of that figured cherry you used for the apron. Now all you need is to have someone hand carve a couple of penguins on the base for you and it will be all done.:lol:

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow - that looks great! Can't wait to put it to use!!! :mrgreen: You're going to make me want a PM vise, I just know it!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Classy bench John. A lot nicer looking than a Sjöbergs bench, thats for sure!

Totally Awesome!!

Thanks for showing us all of the detail and the WIP photo's.

Wayne

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Beautiful bench John! I love the wood choice for the apron. Really makes me want one! Maybe one day.......
Thanks for sharing,
Randy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dang John, that looks nicer than my dinning room table. And I'm convinced you'll be getting better :cool:

Thanks,
Sapwood

woodguy1975

New User
John
The apron jointery and vise releif has been done for bench 2 and 3. I should have them easily wrapped up by Wednesday. A little behind schedule, but still 3 benches in 2 weeks. :icon_thum

Monty delivered his two bases this morning. They look good except for a penguin looking flaw.:eusa_snoo

:rolf:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
woodguy1975 said:
Monty delivered his two bases this morning. They look good except for a penguin looking flaw.:eusa_snoo

:rolf:

now, now John.............lets not be ragging on the NCWW penguin motif.:lol: I am going to die laughing if the penguin ends up in a publication like FWW, Wood, or Woodcraft. LOL.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
D L Ames said:
I am going to die laughing if the penguin ends up in a publication like FWW, Wood, or Woodcraft.
Now that would be priceless!!!

I did get to see that completed bench first hand today, and I have to say I'm envious. I can't believe you got that much done on those other two tops today!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
What do you want to bet the short distance members of class who always arrive last will be there early to claim a prime bench......:lol:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The benches look great. Have downloaded the plans. Do you have any details/advice for the top? (ie tool tray, bench vise inset, etc)? :?: I promise not to copy the penguin logo (besides, SWMBO thinks the northbound end of a southbound mule would be much more appropriate for me!! In fact, that would probably be a perfect avatar if I could find one):-D

Go

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve D said:
What do you want to bet the short distance members of class who always arrive last will be there early to claim a prime bench......:lol:

Steve, try not to wake Monty up (who will be sleeping in his car) as you tiptoe up the driveway early one morning to lay claim to one of the new benches for your next rocker class.

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
The top is just laminated maple that is 3" thick. If I was making this as my one and only bench I would have made the top about 10" longer so I could easily work in an end vise (twinscrew preferred) without having to worry about drilling holes in the base supports. These tops are a little too short to easily add an endvise on the side opposite to the patternmakers. BTW, I think tool trays are vital. If you worry about 2 sided clamping remember that the tray bottom is removable you can clamp directly to the bench top. I woul d make my tray at least 6" wide so you can lay a bench plane in it sideways.

Good Luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS