Bench seat project (update 12/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

So most of you know I am working on a table and bench commision. The table is done and delivered. I am working on the 6' long bench now. It will have 6 legs (hope it doesn't rock to bad) and 2 extra vertical rear supports. I am having trouble deciding which method of attaching the supports will be the strongest. Please give me your thoughts and ideas. In both cases the support will be be glued and screwed and maybe a dowel from the top of the rail up into the support on the "L" shaped one. There will also be "x" bracing between the supports mostly for design, but they will help some. All vertical pieces will be doweled/glued into the top rail.

(And yes it is a beautiful piece of figured maple that will be stained black and hidden for ever.)

Look at the pencil marks, I will cut out a upside down "L" shape on this picture.
black_table_034a.jpg

I will cut out a full notch out here and cut off the piece lower and round out the bottom some for looks.
black_table_035a.jpg

Here is a dry fit of half the bench, no joinery yet. The middel vertical is behind the top rail (picture perspective is off)
black_table_040a.jpg

Here is the chair I am copying sorta of. The bench will not have the horizonital piece below the "x". The "x" will go to the bottom rail behind the seat on the bench.
chair%20001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Re: Bench seat advise needed please.

I can't help with your question but:
Nice design - I like it :icon_thum

To bad you have to paint it:wconfused:

Although it does look like a nice spot for the "Maloof" joint :wink_smil

pete

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Re: Bench seat advise needed please.

Tom, I've only built one similiar bench (yard bench) so I'm not much help. But the only thing that comes to mind is that I carried the middle back stile to the ground in one piece, i.e. leg. The seat band was notched into the legs and screwed from band into leg. I probably used West glue as well.

T

toolferone

Bench seat project (from the black table)

I already have the seat glued up and sanded from before Thanksgiving. I am now gluing up the 3 leg sets. I am using the Festool Domino for the joinery. (not a tool gloat but a very good friend gloat for lending it to me)
I sanded all the pieces to 180 before gluing.

black_table_047a.jpg

black_table_051a.jpg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Re: Bench seat project (from the black table)

Dude! You are busy with this stuff! Keep it up!

Those look like a good start!

T

toolferone

Re: Bench seat project (update 12/14)

Well, I can call it a seat as I have sat in it. The top rail and seat are not mounted yet.

Click on the picture for more construction pics (scroll to the bottom of the page)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Very nice!

The seat seems too long. I know you are making what is requested, but if I were the requestor, I think I would have had you make it two benches instead of one big long one.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Looks great so far Tom! Can't wait to see the (big long) bench all finished. :icon_thum

T

toolferone

Okay, I am very excited about how well the "X" went together tonight. I felt I needed to wait until I had the bench together to measure the spaces for the "X". Each one was off just a hair in measurments, so it is good that I waited. It took more then a few test pieces to get the angle and fit right. It is 36 degrees. The half lap joint in the middle went perfect. The pieces are glued and pin nailed in from the back side. I hope it is strong enough. I am on the down hill slide now. I need to do the final shaping and sanding of the seat bottom and then off to finishing.

black_table_bench_012a.jpg

black%20table%20bench%20016a.jpg

black%20table%20bench%20018a.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looking great Tom :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Are the back X's curved to match the curve of the main back supports??

Dave:)

T

toolferone

That's a good point. The X's should be curved!

You and Dave can take a long leap off a short jointer :gar-La;!

No they are not curved. I set them back so they are not sticking out past the supports. I sat on it tonight and it feels fine.

I don't do curves :gar-Bi!

On a more serious note, I have the seat bottom cut out and sanded. I start staing Thursday moring. It will take 2 coats like the table did and then I hope to start spraying late afternoon.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Tom, the thing looks great!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc If I ever got that far I'd think I had "arrived."

What the heck is a "curved X" anyway? Does it go with a "round O" for Tic Tac Toe??

:rotflm:

T

toolferone

Tom, the thing looks great!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc If I ever got that far I'd think I had "arrived."

What the heck is a "curved X" anyway? Does it go with a "round O" for Tic Tac Toe??

:rotflm:

If you look at the black chair up at the begining of the post you will see that the "x" in th chair back is curved concave so your back fits in to it. Since I am making a STRAIGHT (Dave & Travis) bench with out a curved top rail I did not feel the need (or want to ) make the "x" design curved. So, I set them further back in to the seat back so ythe persons back does not hit them.

Thanks for letting me get that off my back :rolf::gar-La;!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey, just curious :eusa_thin I can see how with the slight curve in the bench's main supports, a flat "X" recessed back would still make a fine seat back. This project is nicer than anything that I've ever made...to qualify my question.

T

toolferone

Hey, just curious :eusa_thin I can't see how with the slight curve in the bench's main supports, a flat "X" recessed back would still make a fine seat back.

Dave, The "x" is angled back from the bottom to the top to help keep it close to the plane of the verticals. Also, the customer wanted the top of the seat back to hide the molding of a low knee wall it is going up against.
This keeps the whole seat back on the low side. I think that helps. I have sat on the bench in front of the "x" only and with the vertical in the middle of my back. There is a little difference but not much. It did not feel like I was leaning back to far. When I was talking with the customer I explained how I though the back would be and she was fine with it. She said that the bench would not be used to often. This is my first chair project. I had some design help in that I was using a existing chair to get the main dimensions from, but had to wing it on the rest. By design benches have flat backs, so I think this will work.

So in closing I think we will chalk this up to some dumb luck :thumbs_up.

I am home Thursday and Friday staining and finishing give me a call if you are in the area and take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors