Beautiful downtown Wilton, NC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
... is between Franklinton and Creedmoor, where NC 96 and NC 56 intersect. I'm about four miles south on NC 96.
My name is Jim Murphy, I'm 56 and have just entered semi-retirement. I work 3 days a week (well, I don't work, I just go to the office and play on the internet) and piddle in my new workshop the other four days. I built a 24x30 shop in the backyard. The yard slopes, and I graded for a crawl space to provide 42" of clearance under the shop. I put #2 oak hardwood over the 3/4" TG OSB for a floor, and used OSB for the ceiling and walls. I have fifteen flourescents in the ceiling, 3 gangs of 5 each (96" w/ twin 80w bulbs). Each gang is individually switched. There's a 100 amp subpanel feeding the lights and 20 amp receptacles that are set 4' high at every other stud.
Major gear includes a PM66SE saw, a PJ882 8" jointer, a Rikon 18" bandsaw (all at 220v), a Delta drill press, DW705 CMS, Hitachi M12V in table, 30,000 BTU propane heater (insulation in floor, walls and ceiling) and kick-butt 3 speed floor fan on casters. The entire back wall is taken up with "rescued" kitchen cabinets, the wall cabinets are on french cleats and the base cabinets are screwed to the wall. Each drawer and cabinet is dedicated to a particular genre of stuff: non-powered things that cut, fasteners, clamps, marking devices, measuring devices, paint, sanders and paper, etc. I get a lot of joy out of deciding how to best arrange the years worth of stuff I have accumulated. Send me a PM if you'd care to stop by and see it, it will remain, I hope, a work in progress.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jim,

Your intro is going to make ost of us quite jealous. That's a very impressive list of equipment. I'm probably not that far from you... go into Creedmoor and turn south on Rt 50. I'm just north of Raleigh... where 540 crosses 50. Maybe I'll get the chance to stop by.

Welcome to the NCWW sawdust pile. What kind of woodworking do you like to do? Do you have any photos of either the shop or your work that you can share. We are photo junkies here.

Ray

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Wow that is one heck of a tool list and shop. Welcome to the best woodworking site on the WWW. We would love to see pictures of your shop and work so set up a photo album to share some pictures. Enjoy the site. :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Jim -- sounds like you've got a great shop setup and are well on your way to full time enjoyment. In all of that organization, we hope you've got a dust collector to keep the sawdust levels down and the space pretty! We'd love to see some pics, so open up an album when you can. BTW - I enjoy full time retirement and it is grand!

Rob

gator

George
Corporate Member
Just down the road from Oxford. I may PM you someday and come down and drool on your tools.:drunken_s :drunken_s :drunken_s

I too am retired and work two days a week for pocket money that I don't have to account to the LOML about how I spend it.

I work Monday and Tuesday. If you're in Oxford for anything on any other day, give a shout and stop by my humble (16 x 24), and currently, messy, abode.

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jim, welcome to the site. I would like to give you a complimentary YOU SUCK (pending pictures of course) for that shop you just described. I can only dream of being retired with time to play in a shop that is well equipped like your. I look forward to your input and participation in the forums :eusa_danc
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Welcome aboard Jim, I am glad you could join us here. It sounds like you have a really nice shop set up and I hope you enjoy the time you get to spend in it.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Jim, sounds like a super setup. And I'm certain folks will be stopping by to check it out. :)

Look forward to you input,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors