Barrister Bookcase in walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I finished this project in October, but I'm just now getting it documented. I've got more details on my website. This project started a long time ago - I'm glad to finally get it out of the shop.

bookcase2-1.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
You need to reverse your signature. It should read turning scraps into beautiful wood:wink_smil. That is awesome looking.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow that's sharp. And a lot of work :icon_thum I am glad that due to your indecision on glass type that you didn't permanently attach the strips holding the glass in place. It's never a good idea to do that, glass breaks especially with kids, and might need to be replaced someday.
Beautiful work :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
That's lovely! I've always wanted one of those - maybe someday timing and $ will both be right at the same time.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Wow!

I love those style bookcases. And yours looks.....wow!

Don't have enough confidence to attempt it, yet. Can't wait to see your doc file and how you did.

Thanks for sharing!

Matt

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Very nice! I can really appreciate the degree of square and precision in a project like that.
What slides did you use?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Nice job on a classic piece of furniture.:icon_thum I much prefer your walnut version to the more usual oak. I'll second DaveO's opinion on the ability to easily change or replace the glass. I've done this on every piece with glass I've ever done. Although it's a little more work, it is excellent preventive medicine.

Matt

wchipper

New User
Cliff
I like the way the glass door goes back, and like DaveO not permanently affixing the glass was a good thing, and I am a big fan of walnut, Good Craftmanship :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's a beauty!
Love the walnut. I've always wanted a barrister bookcase. If only I were a better woodworker and an attorney :mrgreen:

Roger

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks great! Keep it out of the direct sunlight if you do not want the walnut to fade. My furniture out of walnut has been fine but I made some caps for newel posts that get a lot of sun and have faded badly.

Jim

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
You need to reverse your signature. It should read turning scraps into beautiful wood:wink_smil. That is awesome looking.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Hah - if you only knew how many boards were sacrificed in the building construction of this piece! :wsmile:

Thanks, though!

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Very nice! I can really appreciate the degree of square and precision in a project like that.
What slides did you use?

You aren't kidding! It's amazing how a 1/16" variation (and the compensation for it) in one part of a project can ripple through the rest. There was a lot of re-work in this project - more than I care to admit. Fortunately, few of the mistakes are visible either in a picture or casual inspection.

No slides. The doors have a metal dowel pin in the top corners that ride in a dado in the sides. This translates to racking if you are not careful opening the doors. I should have invested in slides - but this was the way the plans were designed. My talent level only allows me to vary from the plans by so much...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
To the others that I haven't replied to directly: thanks for the feedback!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who worries about replacing broken glass in the future. I always found it odd that high-end furniture didn't have an easy way to replace the glass. I always assumed there was a good reason for this...beyond cost.

To anyone who doesn't think they can tackle a project like this, let me assure you that you can. If I can, anyone can :> It was most certainly not easy - and I did a lot of re-work along the way. The Woodsmith plans are pretty easy to follow.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS