Bandsaws, bandsaws and more bandsaws!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I need a bandsaw...okay, I WANT a bandsaw. Can someone help me justify a 12", 14" or larger over a nice Rikon 10"? I have the dough for the 10" Rikon. I will mostly be doing boxes, drawers and small stuff until I gain my confidence to build larger things. Also, I don't have a ton of room in my half of the garage. What can I do on a 10" Rikon and what limits do I have compared to a 12"?

Anna-Catherine

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Look into the Grizzly 0555Z, it's a 14" and can have a riser block added. It a very good saw and has had many good reviews. Plus it's not too pricey. Buy the best/biggest you can afford and you won't be sorry (unless your case of WG disease runs amuck :lol: :lol: )
G0555.jpg

I have it and love it :-D

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Go figure I'd agree with Dave. Buy the biggest and best you can afford. :D Bandsaws are one of those machines where the capacity really makes a difference.

Good Luck,

John

M

McRabbet

I agree with DaveO and Woodguy -- get the Grizzly G0555 and you won't be disappointed. I have one, too and I do like it lots.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
woodguy1975 said:
Go figure I'd agree with Dave. Buy the biggest and best you can afford. :D .
Good Luck,
John

Or a few, if you can't make up you mind:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have an older grizzly 14in that works well, its not a resaw champion, but mixed with my drum sander it will do the job, just make sure your fence is fully adjustable, for blade drift and tilt (if your table doesnt tilt that well) be blessed

sapwood

New User
Roger
Unless you plan on doing a lot of resawing I think a 14" bandsaw offers a lot of value. There are a lot of acceptable brands available and since most are pretty similar, upgrades, add-ons, and replacement parts are easily available.

Have fun shopping :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I agree on all of the advice you have received; buying anything less than a 14" will just give you regrets.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Steve D said:
I agree on all of the advice you have received; buying anything less than a 14" will just give you regrets.

And for this reason, I am going to suck it up and wait until I have about $600 in my pocket. :) I like the Rikon 14" as well. The Grizzly is nice too. I will do more research on a 14" bandsaw. I do not plan on any large scale resawing. Probably just a little bit. We'll see. Thanks for everyones help.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I would recommend you buy "The Bandsaw Book" by Lonnie Bird. It is a very good guide for understanding how a bandsaw works and how to tune it for optimum performance.

The Grizzly G055 has gotten great reviews, is priced very well, and has a strong following.

I have a Delta Shopmaster BS100, 9 inch bandsaw that I received as a Christmas present two years ago that I have literally only used a few times. When I got the saw I was building Shaker/Craftsman style furniture - straight lines - and just never really used it. When I decided to branch into curves and resawing I upgraded and intended to use the old saw occasionally but it sits idle.

If you simply want something to play with until you can afford a 14 inch saw I'll let you have it for 50 dollars, including a stand, 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8 blades. The 1/8 and 3/8 blades are still in the package and have never been used. The 1/4 is on the saw and has cut maybe 20 ft of 3/4 stock...really!

If you return the saw to me in like condition, I'll give you the 50 dollars back. Alternatively, I believe you could sell the saw for the same price once you get the new 14 inch saw. This saw is NOT in the same league as the Grizz G055 but it is a bandsaw and the basic operation, guide adjustment, tensioning and blade tracking are the same as a REAL bandsaw. It will cut and it most certainly will make you appreciate the new saw you eventually buy a whole lot.

Here's a link to the saw http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JZZT/102-9005441-2104122?v=glance&n=228013

I have attached a few pics of the saw below.

If you are interested and are going to the picnic I could bring it then, or, if not, perhaps we could arrange a shuttle back to your area via other forum members attending the picnic.

Chuck

Attachments

• deltabandsaw 001.jpg
    deltabandsaw 001.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 231
  • deltabandsaw 002.jpg
    deltabandsaw 002.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 228

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Anna,

Just received the new Woodcraft flyer today and the Rikon 14" is on sale for $399.00 ($50 off) starting May 1st.

That is a pretty good offer from Chuck to even have a smaller one to try it out!

Just FYI,

Wayne

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
more than several times on the job, when I was installing floors, I thought a bs this size would be ideal for many of the intricate cuts we had to make. sounds like a terrific offer!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Sharp Blade said:
And for this reason, I am going to suck it up and wait until I have about $600 in my pocket. :) I like the Rikon 14" as well. The Grizzly is nice too. I will do more research on a 14" bandsaw. I do not plan on any large scale resawing. Probably just a little bit. We'll see. Thanks for everyones help.

Ok, i've owned both saws so maybe I can help make up your mind. Get the G0555. The Rikon is a fine saw, but given the same money as the G0555 it looses. If you are deciding between them, pick up the phone and order the G0555. :)

Thanks,

John

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Canuck said:
Anna,

Just received the new Woodcraft flyer today and the Rikon 14" is on sale for $399.00 ($50 off) starting May 1st.

That is a pretty good offer from Chuck to even have a smaller one to try it out!

Just FYI,

Wayne

Wayne,

I just saw that flyer today. Hooo boy! I have a whole month to drool! LOL I may just have to get that saw.

Anna-Catherine

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
cpowell said:
If you are interested and are going to the picnic I could bring it then, or, if not, perhaps we could arrange a shuttle back to your area via other forum members attending the picnic.

Chuck

Chuck,

I can't make it to the picnic, but I think I am going to wait. Thank you for the fine offer. I do have bandsaw experience, I just do not have a bandsaw right now. :) That Rikon is looking good. For $399 I can get that and a pretty decent fence too. The Grizzly is nice, I know. I will check 'em both out more.

Anna-Catherine

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I am slowly getting hooked on the Griz bandsaw. My mom actually said she would pay for half the danged thing. yeeehaw! LOL

Anna-Catherine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors