Any good BB suppliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I am starting to look around for BB suppliers again, and wondered who folks are buying theirs from?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey Cathy. Welcome back to the site. You've been missed.

I buy most of my BB from either Klingspor here in Raleigh or Woodcraft. WC has a nice little pack of a dozen 10x10" (I think) pieces of 1/4" Baltic Birch that is great for small scroll saw projects. They also have some other packs of random pieces. But I prefer to buy at Klingspor if they have what I want since they support us and WC does not.

The best deal - and the best quality - is from The Hardwood Store but they sell in 5'x5' sheets. I expect they can cut a sheet into smaller pieces for you but you'd need to check with them. Cheryl is pretty accommodating and they also deliver to most areas around here for a fee. That is definitely the way to go if you want quantity.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cathy I make a trip to The Hardwood Store for mine. As Ken said they are 5 x 5. They will cut them down for you if you need them. Since it is a 3hour trip for me I usually get 3-4 sheets. You also get a price break on 3 or more sheets.

cpw

New User
Charles
I don't buy it much, but last time I was at Catawba Hardwoods in Nebo they had it. I'm not sure how competitive their pricing is, but it's only about an 45 minute trip for us. Call before you go.

Catawba Hardwoods
2420 Harmony Grove Rd, Nebo, NC 28761
(828) 652-3575

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Not an unlimited source, but I have a few pieces from helping a friend cut 4x5s out of 5x5s.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
If you are ever near us, we sell a lot of it. 1/8-3/4" in 1/8" increments. Maybe we need a BB plywood run :) Don't think I've ever seen one of those, would be rather amusing

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Cathy,

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Fletcher has a variety of smaller sized pieces of Baltic Birch in 1/8" to 3/4" thicknesses. Give them a call at 828-687-3940 to see what they have on hand. And come this Saturday if you can for a WNCWA meeting starting at 9:30 AM. Haven't seen you in a while!

cskipper

Cathy
Ok, I still dont know what BB references.... help!

I am so sorry - I forgot my manners and assumptions about everybody's knowledge base. Heavens know that sunk me when I started - still does on occasion. I did not mean to be rude in not explaining myself. :embaresse

cskipper

Cathy
If you are ever near us, we sell a lot of it. 1/8-3/4" in 1/8" increments. Maybe we need a BB plywood run :) Don't think I've ever seen one of those, would be rather amusing

We had a couple of those at the early picnics - it was great! I've finally pretty much finished up my supply. What part of Virginia are you in?

cskipper

Cathy
Cathy,

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Fletcher has a variety of smaller sized pieces of Baltic Birch in 1/8" to 3/4" thicknesses. Give them a call at 828-687-3940 to see what they have on hand. And come this Saturday if you can for a WNCWA meeting starting at 9:30 AM. Haven't seen you in a while!

Are you meeting at Klingspors?

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
No problem, I am now away of the abbreviation cheat sheet on this site so I know where to look now.

I bought my 4x8' sheet BB sheet at Home Depot. It seems to be in good shape from what I can see, no slits, empty or hollow pockets on the ends, etc.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/baltic%20birch?NCNI-5

I see ads for this company in many of my woodworking magazines. Has anyone ever used them to buy direct and have it shipped to their home? http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/category/6_plywood.html

I am so sorry - I forgot my manners and assumptions about everybody's knowledge base. Heavens know that sunk me when I started - still does on occasion. I did not mean to be rude in not explaining myself. :embaresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS