Another Monster Jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgfranz

New User
Mark
Some of you may have already seen these, but I just picked it up yeasterday for the whopping price of $250! It needs nothing to run other than wired up. Am I happy? What do you think?

jointer1.jpg

jointer2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Re: The Phoenix has risen!

Oh man Mark, YOU SUCK big time.:lol: Please drop by the "Who We Are" forum and give us a brief introduction on yourself. I am glad you could join us and would love to hear what brings a CA woodworker here to NCWW.

D L

T

toolferone

mgfranz said:
Some of you may have already seen these, but I just picked it up yeasterday for the whopping price of $250! It needs nothing to run other than wired up. Am I happy? What do you think?

That is a big you suck!

dozer

Mike

I looks like both of them need landing lights for the planes to land safely.

Last edited:

mgfranz

New User
Mark

I was sent here by a fellow woodworker on Woodnet.net who wanted to show me the original post "The Phoenix has risen", and thought it would be cool to let others know that with patience and perseverance [sic] good deals can be had.

I have been through NC a few times, I spent time at a few of the military bases there, (I spent 8 years in the Navy, so it's fitting that I now own a LHA). I really get envious of you guys who have access to some of the best lumber prices in the country, I have to pay about $8 bf for FAS cherry...

Great site!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Mark,

Sweet score on the Crescent, you will be very pleased. Mine was in much rougher shape and required a total overhaul but I did get it back as close to factory new as possible. It appears yours is a couple of years newer but roughly the same vintage. Left me know if you have any questions, I now know the machine inside and out. I also found an excellent source for knives that would sell 4 as a set cheaper than I could buy 3 from others. The company is called globaltooling, http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html you will have to call to get 4 but they will sell them that way.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Alan, didn't you used to land on things that size? 'course, they were moving, weren't they?

That is one huge jointer!

mgfranz

New User
Mark
You guys are funny... it's actually painted a tan color, similar to the background color of these pages. Talking to some of the guys over at OWWM I have found that the vintage I have is somewhere 'tween 1910 and 1920 and that it's original color is a "haze gray and under way" shade. Not sure if I will do a repaint of the "USS Cresent" or just leave it but it's an option.

Steve, if you have any ideas or suggestions regarding converting this this over to single phase direct drive let me know.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
250 dollars??? Did you forget a zero? Did you have color photographs of the previous owner and his girlfriend?

That's a huge "YOU SUCK".

Chuck

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I am not much on giving out this statement, but in the case of your jointer I will make an exception - YOU SUCK

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Mark,

I converted mine from direct drive 3 phase to belt drive single phase. It takes up a lot less space and made life a lot easier. I thought the wheels on the operator side reflected a late 20's model but I could be wrong. If you haven't found your serial number yet, it is stamped into the end of one of the beds. You can get a pretty good feel for vintage based upon where your serial number falls with the registered jointers on OWWM.

mgfranz

New User
Mark
I'm being told it's a model from about 1905-1910, apparently the levers were brought in to the 12" line in 1913 to replace the 4 spoke hand wheels which replaced 5 spoke wheels in 1905 and the lack of an original guard mounting bracket which were installed in 1910 on all models, I'll get it registered this week once I get some more info.

What size motor did you end up going with?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I put a 3Hp Leeson motor on with 3600 rpm to the cutterhead. It is driven by 2 belts. Are the Babbitt bearings in good shape?

mgfranz

New User
Mark
The babbitts were replaced with roller bearings some time ago. I was thinking abot a 3hp as well, do you run the 3600 full speed or are your pulleys reducing the speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS