"Anchor" post replication(?) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I'm been meaning to inquire about this since it changed wayyyyy back when and keep forgetting so here goes.

I noticed a change some time back in how the "anchor" or starter post from threads get presented/repeated and think the new style adds some extra scrolling on the users part and maybe more overhead on the sites part :dontknow:. I'm referring to the repeating/replication of the anchor post at the top of each subsequent page of posts/replies. This can be a bit annoying on all threads but is even more so on threads which have lots of text or pictures in the anchor post. I know it makes users have to scroll through the initial post on subsequent pages to get to the next reply/response and possibly it creates undo overhead on the sites part as far as page rendering and maybe other aspects as well.

Is it possible to go back to the previous style/setup where the anchor post wasn't repeated on each subsequent page? Or does it not bother anyone else and I'm just being lazy!?!?:eusa_thin

TIA,
Brian.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
This has been in place for many years :)

There is a user selectable option that might help you out.

You can choose in User Settings -> User options -> Number of Posts to Show Per Page

The site default is 15, but you can choose 20,30,40,50

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Wow did the style really change that long ago? Talk about procrastinating about asking about it! :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

I'll play with the settings some so at least I won't have to scroll as much. Thnx

Is the benefit of repeating the first post that you can review what the thread you're reading was about in case the replies really go off track?!?!?! :rotflm::rotflm:

Thnx again,
Brian.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Hey, if I had a $1 for everything I put off or forget about.....

The premise is if you have a multi-page thread (16 or more posts), its often helpful to be able to refer back easily to the original post.

As threads grow, you could be talking 8 to 25 pages or more. At which point easy reference to the first post can be very handy.

Its also common practice on many web forums.

I agree it can at times be tricky as you pointed out.

Enjoy!
Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Glennbear

Glenn
If you click on the "display mode" button above and to the right and switch it to HYBRID MODE the first post will not repeat on subsequent pages of a thread. :wsmile:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
As threads grow, you could be talking 8 to 25 pages or more. At which point easy reference to the first post can be very handy.

Jim

8-25 pages? Please. :wink_smil
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS