A warning to Lexington style BBQ fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I know NOTHING about doing Lexington style BBQ. If someone will bring some sauce (or what ever than red stuff you put on perfectly good pork,) I will save out part of the pork, and we can add at picnic site. Otherwise, it's Georges all the way. Just let me know. Sorry about late post, but I just plain FORGOT. No excuses, just another case of CRS. Bruce

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

GO Bruce!! Good "Q" doesn't need that tomato paste they call sauce!!! LOL!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Bruce,
Thanks in advance for doing this! It's a major job and we will appreciate whatever style you prepare.
How are you cooking the pig? It'll need some Hickory smoke to be authentic Lexington style. I'll bring a bottle of Wayne Monk's (at Lexington #1) finest and dare you to not like it. No Tomato paste in it. Vinegar, Salt, Black and Red Pepper, Chilie Powder and a tiny bit of Ketchup to cut the vinegar. It ain't sweet or thick.

Reggie,
Whispering Pines in Albemarle uses the same recipie.

Mouth is watering just typing this!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I will be out of town at a graduation, but I wanted to share a story anyway...

We smoke our BBQ in whole pieces and slice it to serve with the sauce of choice and in our house it usually is tomato based, though Bone Sucking Sauce seems to straddle the line and it is a favorite of mine. Those of you who don't eat the tomato based stuff may not know that a few years ago Jack Daniels began making sauce (or maybe licensing their name). It's not alcoholic and I am not sure it even has any Jack as flavoring. Anyway, the kids are partial to their "original" flavor, which is a little on the sweet side. A couple of years ago, when my youngest daughter was about 7 she was at a friends house and they were having BBQ for dinner. The mom was heating up a few hot dogs for some of the kids who didn't care for it and asked my daughter if she would eat BBQ or not. Her answer - "That depends. Got any Jack Daniels?" :rolf:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
dogs for some of the kids who didn't care for it and asked my daughter if she would eat BBQ or not. Her answer - " That depends. Got any Jack Daniels?" :rolf:

Now, that is really funny. I 'll bet that answer got the mothers attention. :rolf:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce,
Thanks in advance for doing this! It's a major job and we will appreciate whatever style you prepare.
How are you cooking the pig? It'll need some Hickory smoke to be authentic Lexington style. I'll bring a bottle of Wayne Monk's (at Lexington #1) finest and dare you to not like it. No Tomato paste in it. Vinegar, Salt, Black and Red Pepper, Chilie Powder and a tiny bit of Ketchup to cut the vinegar. It ain't sweet or thick.

Reggie,
Whispering Pines in Albemarle uses the same recipie.

Mouth is watering just typing this!
I don't even like ketchup on french fries, but I do in reheated mashed potatoes, and in boiled potatoes served with pork BBQ. Pork will be cooked over gas, as it is quicker and a lot easier. Probably have some chicken taste, as I did a picnic (BBQ chicken) for about 100 last night. Got home after 11:00 PM. Unloading and resetting today. Still go to go back and get the grill.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Eastern style all the way! Here's what I use:

7 1/2 cups vinegar
3/4 cup ginger ale
3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 Tablespoons ground red pepper (cayenne)

no cooking required, halve if necessary, and it will keep forever!

mmmmmm

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Hey, Don't not bring the pear just because Andy will not be there.:gar-La;:gar-La;

I could use some,
James

Ok, no problem, though I'm not sure what I have left is something you'd want. I'll set aside a few for Andy and bring along the rest for carving, turning, or burning... ;)

Trav

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
With apologies to Dr Suess (and even more so to the live people reading this)...

Share what pear you can spare; it's only fair when I'm not there;
If Wayne won't complain or Scott can be bought or a favor from Trent can be lent,
it would be good to get the wood back to my 'hood... :)

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
With apologies to Dr Suess (and even more so to the live people reading this)...

Share what pear you can spare; it's only fair when I'm not there;
If Wayne won't complain or Scott can be bought or a favor from Trent can be lent,
it would be good to get the wood back to my 'hood... :)

:rotflm: Ok, Ok, load as much as I can into the van... ;)

Got it.

Trav

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I was born and raised on Lexington Style BBQ. But I eat any style BBQ. Lexington Style is my favorite though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS