A new (very old) jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfiles

New User
Jack
My wife informed me that one of her co-workers had an old jointer that he didn’t have any use for and that I could have it if I would go pick it up (freebee). It turned out to be an old Craftsman jointer.

Loaded it in my truck (must have weighed 200 lbs.) and took it home. Checked it over, and everything seem to be in place. Plugged it in, turned it on and it spun up whisper quite. I ran a small piece of red oak fire wood through it and wow – it put a silky smooth finish on it. It needs a good cleaning – any suggestions on cleaning the surfaces, fine sandpaper maybe? The new video on Jointer Planer Knife Setting that Steve D uploaded is perfect timing. I received a new dial indicator and magnetic base today from Grizzly - $22.25 + ship and I should be able to give it a good tune-up. I’ll let you know how it goes. Any advice on cleaning, setup, where to buy knives, general maintenance etc. would be appreciated. -Jack
Jointer_thumb.jpg

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Jack,

That's one sweet little jointer. That's from way back when they use to really made good tools.

Here is a link for cleaning the top and fence:

http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/articles/cleaning_cast_iron.htm

As for the rest, if you want to paint, then a scuff sanding, wiping with mineral spirits, and acan of spray paint.

I would put a guard over that belt and the motor shaft on the operator side of that motor.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice FREEBIE gloat. You suck!!! I am sure that machine will be a great user. You suck...for free:-D

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great score, Jack! One freebie that was certainly worth not turning down! Good luck on the tune-up. It sounds like it is mechanically pretty sound and even runs.

Perhaps you could take another pic when you get 'er all cleaned up. (with a little sawdust coating as well!:lol: )

Congrats!

Wayne

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Great find and a terrific price. Go to www.owwm.com and you will find a lot of information about your jointer and a wealth of information about getting it into tip top shape. As already mentioned, the old Craftsman tools were very well made and have quite a following. There are people on that site that can tell you the age, etc. from the serial number. YOU SUCK!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice find Jack!

That model could be from the 40s. The safety guard is unique. As others have mentioned, you may be able to find a PDF manual at OWWM.

Cost free YOU SUCK!

Sapwood

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
lol,,DaveO sent me a copy of his Insta-Post v1.5, all I do is turn it on and it goes,,how else do you thing daveO makes Tea houses, tons of boxes, and plays with a new mortiser,,lol Just getting your goat Dave

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
psst,,pssstt,,ncpete! psssst! are we gong to get in trouble here for having so much fun? I think steve or one of the other moderator's are going to kick us off,,lol

sapwood

New User
Roger
Gotcha Michael :slap:

Go to the Photo Gallery and checkout the names under Last Post :rolf:

Someone has been looking at pictures :mrgreen:

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang my name use to be all over those, my secret to post count increas-ation has been discovered. I think I see a new 1K'er coming on soon :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS