A couple experiments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After a conversation Saturday with Eagle about what to do with bug holes in pen blanks, where he mentioned a few ideas. One of those thoughts inspired me to try something. Instead of trying to fill the hole with something and make it look solid, why not show off the random beauty and form that mother nature gives us and let the hole be. But that would show the shiny brass tube that the blank is supported by :eusa_doh: But what if it was wood??? I took the slimline tubes and turned a Redheart blank down to .30" in dia. (which is .02" larger than the o.d. of the tube, and .02" smaller than the o.d. of the nib and finial). That sleeved tube was then inserted in the wormy spalted curly Syamore blank with a 3/8' hole drilled through the center. The thought process was that the Redheart would show where ever the bug holes went all the way to the center of the blank. It worked in theory, but I had some problems with the clear CA fill that I put into the bug holes after turning to give the barrel a level surface for finishing. I had a hard time keeping the dust out of the holes and eliminating bubbles in the CA fill. That and a slight blowout at the nib that had to be rebuilt :BangHead: :BangHead:
That was the first experiment, and the second is different lighting for my photograph. I took three pictures at the same focal length but with the lighting arranged differently.
Here's the pictures of that pen -

Copy_of_Pens_307.jpg

Copy_of_Pens_311.jpg

Copy_of_Pens_316.jpg

The pen experiment went as well as could be hoped for on a first try, and I would appreciate y'alls thoughts on which of the photos looks best to you.
TIA,
Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
All the pictures look good but for some reason the second two seem more clear than the first.
As far as the pen goes I like the twist you took on our conversation.A lot more work than just painting the tube and using epoxy but the result is worth it.They usually are.
As far as CA "bubbling"
Pick up a bottle of nail GLUE at Wally world.It is really CA. the reason you are buying the high dollar stuff is to get the little brush that comes in the bottle.
Use the glue in the bottle(make sure it says brush on other wise you will just get a little dauber)
Use the brush to "paint" the initial coat of CA in the void, use it sparingly.After the void is coated you can use thick for fill but don't try to fill it allat once.
Let the initial thin set up before you add any more, that is what causes the bubbling( or bloooming or blush as it is also called)

J

jeff...

I like the 2nd picture best but they are all good. Dave you amaze me :icon_thum

When your up for a real bug hole file challenge let me know, I've got just the blanks for you :lol:

I think you could do basicly the same thing with a clear burn-in stick and a burn-in knife and it would be a lot quicker. Just thinking of my furniture repair background.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Use the brush to "paint" the initial coat of CA in the void, use it sparingly.After the void is coated you can use thick for fill but don't try to fill it allat once.
Let the initial thin set up before you add any more, that is what causes the bubbling( or bloooming or blush as it is also called)

Would a regular small paint brush serve the same purpose...I avoid going into Nail Salons like the plague :eusa_thin :lol: :lol:
I think my problem is what you mentioned, lack of patience on the set up time and trying to fill all at once...I am not known to be very patient :BangHead:

The second two pics are using less light, and the light to aid the auto focus had to come on, and maybe it got a better focus from that. That is why I posted the experiement. It's hard to go from camera, to computer to websites and really know what your pictures are looking like on other folks monitors.
Dave:)

dozer

Mike
I fill them about half way with embossing poeder then fill them the rest of the way with thick ca glue. I have also used coffee grounds to fill them part way.

frankson

New User
Jeff
Dave,

That's one beautiful pen!!!!!!

My vote is for the 2nd shot - hands down. The single ray of light down the length of the pen points directly at the most interesting figure/detail on the lower barrel.

SWEET

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Dave....
nice job on the pen...that was a good idea for the 'background' of the worm holes. You should consider expanding that idea with multiple layers for a 'lamination' or segmentated pen.

As far as pix...I prefer the third...it has the least light reflection, which shows the finish shine, but allows the wood to show it's stuff. I like the third b/c the shine is near the top and that just seems balanced to me...

cheers,
Chris

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I like the top pic the best. In hte other tow, the shirt clip seems to be more prominent.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Nice pens! I like the idea of that interior sleeve, clever folk out east.

Not sure it translates, but I've read that air bubbles in epoxy can be taken out by running heat over the epoxy as it cures.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS