$500 Table saws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
OK one day I want a Saw Stop table saw but with the price it's going to be a long time off.

I need to upgrade from my old Craftsmen contractor saw [junk].

I'm leaning towards the RIDGID R4512 10 in. 13 Amp Professional
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202500206/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

However the PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10" saw looks good as well.
http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3161103&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-PORTER-CABLE%2015-Amp%2010%22%20Table%20Saw&CAWELAID=1024206796

Which saw do you guys think is better in this class?

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
I've heard good things about the Ridgid 4512 and you get the Ridgid lifetime warranty which is hard to beat. Whichever you choose make sure to get a 10% movers coupon for Lowes (available at the post office in the mover's packet) and get Home Depot to match it.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Learning what features you want perhaps is better

Not knowing what knowledge or tablesaw skills you have, my first recommendation would be to take either of the tablesaw courses at the Woodcraft stores in Charlotte or Greensboro. It is a good time to handle their machines and ask questions, not just of the instructor, but with all of the other attendees. Some hands-on experience may provide some better decisions than hearsay. You may be an expert on the tablesaw, but I always learn something, if not get a good review, everytime I spend an evening, or a day, in these courses.

Having made lots of "inexpensive" decisions over the years, I can't tell you how many times I had purchased higher quality in the first place. If you are going to spend $500 on a tablesaw, why save a little more and buy a good cabinet saw, like possibly the Grizzly 1023, or 0690, in the first place. You will not be unhappy, and if you take care of it, resale will eventually lead to a good down payment on you ultimate saw.

Good luck.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
Thanks for the info.
I'm a complete newb at table saws.

Yeah I thought about the Grizzly G0691.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0691-10-22-Cabinet-Riving/dp/B0029VG3GI

I fear though if I go with one of those, I'd just stick with it and not upgrade to the SawStop one at a later date. If I get a cheesy so/so $500 saw I'd have to upgrade when my skills improved.

I'll look into that class! I always try and learn new things, even with things I "think" I'm expert on I'll still try and learn new info on the subject where other guys know what they know, and that's all they need to know.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I don't believe either of these saws would be a significant upgrade. Sawstop while not a necessity is a nice upgrade and if that is what you really want then why not keep saving until you can get it? I would keep an eye out for a used unisaw or PM66. YMMV and all that..... :-D

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
"I don't believe either of these saws would be a significant upgrade."

The old Craftsmen is so rusty and old that it is just about useless. It can do rough cuts but any precision cuts are out. So either of the $500 saws will be a HUGE upgrade.

"if that is what you really want then why not keep saving until you can get it?"
That would mean no precision wood working for the next 5.8 years on my budget. I kind of would like to get started with this next month.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I am a firm believer in buying what you can afford now, as opposed to saving up for years and then buying once. Yes, financially it makes more sense, but for most of us, woodworking is a hobby, not a business. I spend lots of money on stuff that's absolutely useless, at least a tool has some redeeming qualities. Buying now means you get to enjoy it now and keep churning out projects. Plus, every time you advance a level in tools and skill, you may find that your needs change. Before I bought my first jointer, I was agonizing over whether to get a 6" or 8" model. I got the 6". When I upgraded, I went to 12" :)

There are two caveats to my upgrade-as-you-go policy. First, don't buy something that doesn't meet your needs. I think a saw like the Ridgid would allow for a lot of happy woodworking hours. The Porter-Cable saw (which looks like the Hitachi model Lowe's used to sell) doesn't strike me as being as good as the Ridgid. Second, think about the side investments you're making. A table saw is a lot more useful with an outfeed table, crosscut sled, spline jig, zero clearance inserts etc. These are all accessories that don't port well from one saw to another, so you're probably have to rebuild all of them when you upgrade. That's not necessarily a bad thing, provided you keep the saw for at least 2-3 years. If 6 months after getting the Ridigd you decide you should have gotten a Grizzly G0691, that's a big waste.

About three years ago, I bought my JET ProShop saw because it was a quality saw that was very affordable, and would be a good 'interim' saw. I really wanted a saw with a riving knife and decent over-the-blade dust collection, and only the SawStop and PM2000 had riving knives at that time. Both were out of my budget. Fast forward to today and riving knives are everywhere. Never regretted that decision. Also, with all the developments in safety standards, there is a good chance saws will significantly improve in that department without adding excessive cost.

But don't think because you buy a Grizzly G0691 today that the tool upgrade lust disappears. You'll still be eyeballing the SawStop or a sliding table saw or something else :)

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Don't overlook the used market. I suspect you could find a good used cabinet saw in the $500 range that would't need too much (if any TLC) to get setup the way you wanted.

The Grizzly G1023 saws have had a long production run and are solid machines (I own one) I would bet you could pick up a used one easily for $500.

jhreed

New User
james
All my life I wanted a Delta Unisaw. I bought a used Jet xtasaw cabinet saw from one of our members for $600.00. I love it. I will never want to upgrade because I think the Jet is on a par with Sawstop, Powermatic, Delta, etc. Keep your eye on the used market. If you get a decent price on the used market, you can probably get most of ;your money back if you decide to upgrade.
James

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Again.... I would look used. A good cabinet saw or contractors saw with belt drive would be the same or less $. I think the saws you mentioned are direct drive.??? I have owned a few direct drive saws and precision is a wildly exaggerated term IMO. You didn't mention what model crapsman you have but it may be possible to upgrade the saw you have fairly cheap. New bearings and a good fence along with some elbow grease to remove the rust goes a long way. After this, a coat of wax and some tuning, you may find this saw will last until you have the funds for what you ultimately want.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Third "amen" for buying used, you effectively buy a saw at about half price.

Here's the trick: research. There are a lot of dogs out there, and also a lot over-priced. But about every two months, a poorly advertised gem will turn up. Often the seller is not the person who knows much about it, and they'll use generic or misleading terms so others will pass over. They list a 30" fence when it is 52", they call it a contractor saw when it is a hybrid or cabinet, they forget to mention the mobile base, or miss the Incra fence system upgrades. The photo might not match the description, or there will be something small wrong like the plug cut off, blade missing, etc. ALL THESE WORK IN THE BUYER'S FAVOR! They reduce traffic and further lower the price.

The research part is making becoming confident in what is being sold. What is the actual model number? What options and accessories did it ship with? How much do the replacement components cost? Is there enough there to test it out with and is this allowed? If the seller is unwilling to cooperate, move on. They may know there are big problems and want to find a sucker. But if the seller simply doesn't know and is willing to let you bring a blade, spend some time on set up, etc., you can exchange a little research or repair effort against sale price.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
buy used. pass on the ridgid and pc as they're not worth the money i.e. you can get a much higher quality saw for the same price or a few dollars more. not that there's anything wrong with those saws, but just that better quality saws in your price range come up all the time on craigslist i.e. been there, done that. Better yet, people here are very good about posting them when they see the ads so you can easily cover nc, va, and sc.

Sam

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I would keep an eye out for a used Delta contractor's saw. They appear in bunches, sometimes. Last couple I remember on CL included either Uni, or Biesmeyer fences, which are a $250 - $450 up grade. A heck of a lot of work has been done on such saws.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'll jump in with another vote for looking to the used market.

I recently sold my 17-year-old Delta contractor saw for less than $500 and I can tell you it was a fantastic saw for that money. It had a lot of upgrades, accessories, mobile base, etc. and a dead-on every time accurate fence (Unifence). Despite being 17 years old, it was in better-than-new condition, thanks to the upgrades, and would have outlived me. The only reason I upgraded was for a SawStop.

If you are a little leery of the used market, don't be afraid to tap the knowledge of this group. If you are not in a big hurry and follow the advice of this group, you'll end up with a great saw at a great price.

manfre

New User
Manfre
The best advice I can give is, wait until after the holidays. There are usually good sales, if you don't want used. If you're willing to buy a used saw, others will take advantage of those sales to upgrade and CL should have a decent selection.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Used saw looks to be in good shape

As posted by Chris, this saw looks to be in good shape. A good deal for both parties would be around $500 to $600. Maybe you can make an offer and see what happens. Even when you do save up for the SawStop, you should be able to sell this one and get every dollar back.

Just seen this post on craigslist
http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/tls/2632459000.html
Table Saw 3 HP Grizzly - $750 (Pembroke)

Date: 2011-10-08, 4:04PM EDT
Reply to: sale-srpdn-2632459000@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Grizzly G1023SL Left-Tilting 10" Table Saw with a 3 HP motor

This saw is in immaculate condition.
Moving and can't take it with me.

Chris

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I would jump on that used Grizzly...I bought same saw last yr used and got a perfect saw...added a Shark Gaurd splitter to it a few months ago..You will not regret passing on the contractors saw :eek:ccasion1

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Gee, you guys I just want to buy a new $500 table saw and you guys are trying hard to make me buy the old used Delta Unisaw that the guy down the street from me is selling.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/2622999324.html

:nah: naaahhh his is way too high.:rotflm: you can find these for 5-700 if you look around a bit. there have been a few posted right here on this site recently. you may not need a cabinet saw but you can also find used contractor saws with upgrades in place for what you are willing to spend. 50-60% of new means you get a better saw for the same $$$$.:widea: might want to contact sully. he seems to always have older machines that he refurbs for a reasonable cost. won't hurt to ask.:icon_thum if not he may keep you in mind when one comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS