14" Band saw Opinions wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdhetrick

New User
Todd Hetrick
I am looking for recommendations or warnings about 14” band saws. I am looking at what one might call “value” band saws, ones under $400. From what I gather most all the 14” saws seem to come from the same plant in China, all the major manufactures saws look identical. My thought is to buy a less expensive bare bones saw and upgrade it with parts and accessories from places like grizzly as needed.

I have been leaning towards the Harbor Freight 4 speed saw #32208. $299
Hopefully %15 off that if I can find a cupon.

Thanks
Todd

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Didn't one of the woodworking magazines just do a review of 14" bandsaws? I'm sure it's in the pile of magazines on my desk... but, as usual, I'm on the road so I don't know what's on the desk.

Ray

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and it works just fine. I would recommend it to any one who wants a starter saw. On another note, realize that on saws with 1 hp or less resawing is tough, keep it limited to 6". I use my saw sparingly, but if I used it more often (and had the money) I would go for the new Rikon. Everybody has given it great reviews, and from what I've seen it's a great looking saw. Just remember Grizzly stands behind their products and carries spare parts, something that HF doesn't, if you are planning to go that way.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and good luck with whatever you choose.

Jimmy

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have a 14" chiwanese bandsaw I am concidering selling. it does the job but can be fiddley at times. [ thus is the way with cheep bandsaws! ] It didnt come from HF but it could have. looks identical. PM me if you may be interested. I am somewhat far away from charlotte but the wworker pony express might be available. Also the price would make the drive more palletable.

fred p

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Have you had a look at Sears "Craftsman Professional 14" BS for $469.99?

Friend bought one because it has cast iron wheels, 2 dust ports and 1 hp motor, couple years ago. Think he said has an 8" resaw capability.

I bought a Grizzly G0555 with mobile base on sale several years back with shipping came to $485.00.

May not be that easy to upgrade that HF saw as once was. If money is tight may look for one of those old Delta 14" BS's. Even one that needs a little TLC would be a better bargain than HF.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Doing upgrades on a bandsaw can get to be expensive. I have no experience with the HF, but I would want to make sure the wheels are in line or at least can be shimmed to be parallel and that the guide post runs true. I would definitely take a look at what you can get used as well. Postings here on the site and on craigslist will net you some pretty good deals cheaper and possibly better than you can buy new.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Didn't one of the woodworking magazines just do a review of 14" bandsaws? I'm sure it's in the pile of magazines on my desk... but, as usual, I'm on the road so I don't know what's on the desk.

Ray

That would be FWW October 2007 issue.

They reviewed the Delta 28-475X, General 690-1, Grizzly G0555X, Grizzly G0457, Laguna LT14SE, Jet JWBS-14DX, Powermatic PWBS-14CS and the Rikon 10-325. In this group, the Laguna ranked "Best Overall" at $1500!!! And the Grizzly G0457 as "Best Value" at $795.

I picked up a used Delta 14" for about $150 on Craigslist last year. Cleaned it up, added CoolBlocks, neew blades and tensioning spring and it is has been great!

I would keep my eye out for a deal like this on Craigslist or here on the board!

Like this one posted last week...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/390498055.html

Wayne

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews

Ray

Woodworker's Journal, Aug 07, did a top 10 review on band saws. The Rikon 10-325 Deluxe got best bet at $749. The Craftsman 22401 was in the review and it does have a 8" resaw capacity. If you are going to buy a new saw check the reviews by customers on tools websites. The craftsman has good reviews. I remember reading a while back about people having problems with the 14" Rigid. Good luck.

Paul

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
I also have the Grizzly 0555, It's been a great saw for several years....
The only problem so far: the lower bearings tend to gum up (after about 18 months), I bought new bearings at a very reasonable price through VBX online, they come in 10 packs.
The quality of this saw makes it worth the extra expense..
Hope this helps
Gary

RobD

New User
Rob
I would recommend waiting for a good, used bandsaw deal, kind of like that Grizzly one. I recently was in the market and waited until a good deal on a used Delta 14" came up and have been extremely happy with it. Much more saw than I really needed for a price less than I would have paid for a much lower level saw.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I too would recommend buying a used saw. I'm a big believer that that provides the best value - almost all of the equipment in my shop was purchased used.

If you are concerned that you "don't know what to look for" in a used machine then stick to buyers you trust to represent their goods fairly or take a more knowledgable buddy along.

FWIW, my first bandsaw was and remains a Hitachi CB75F resaw, for which I paid the princely sum of $450, including two carbide blades.

-Mark

tdhetrick

New User
Todd Hetrick
I thank everyone for their advice.

I eneded up picking up Fredp's import 14" bandsaw. He made me a great deal and I figured that I would rather have a used import saw from a known wood worker because at least I know it works and I can give it a test drive.

If not for Fred's saw I was definatly going to hold out for a used Delta or Jet.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS