Search results

1. TenguWoodwork

Job Posting: Refinishing/polishing funiture Chapel Hill/Pittsboro

I have a client (from my non-woodworking day job) ask if I knew anyone who could polish or potentially refinish some furniture. The client has some physical limitations that prevents him from using most handheld tools. I don't know the condition of the furniture/finish, but am happy to ask. If...
  2. TenguWoodwork

Japanese weapon project: joinery question

After reviewing my previous build (see photo) I made the weapon with a 2" shaft. My current project is designed with a 3". Given all the other specs staying the same, think this will still work with a 2" shaft?
  3. TenguWoodwork

Hi Chris, You're right about the 4" width. I haven't weighed it, but I'm pretty sure the blade is definitely not 55lbs (based on walking around the shop with it in 1 hand). I've already cut out the major pieces and clamped them together. Although it has some heft, the soon-to-be-owner is...
  4. TenguWoodwork

This is for training, not display. It may have some occasional impact but no hard perpendicular hits (for many, many reasons) No cloth, hoping to stay with wood, glue, and tung oil. The current plan is to have them glue the tongue. Didn't think about direct application to the pegs. Hope that...
  5. TenguWoodwork

Hi NCWW, I'm making a QS White Oak training bisento (ancient Japanese anti-calvary weapon) for a friend. I've made one before but this one has a unique twist: essentially I need to be able to ship it at a shorter length (to Colorado) for simple assembly on the other end. To be clear, this would...
  6. TenguWoodwork

UPDATE: Picnic Sign-Up AND What will you be bringing?

For the latest RSVP possible, I'll be attending. I got the impression we need garbage bags, so I'll bring those.
  7. TenguWoodwork

Purple Heartwood advice

Hi everyone. Thanks again for your advice. I looked around a couple of other sources and took a shot with Teak Oil. I did a double coat. It's got the right feel in my opinion, so time will tell on the "preservation factor".
  8. TenguWoodwork

Arithmetic ???

"measure once, cut twice" is the old adage right? Haha.
  9. TenguWoodwork

Purple Heartwood advice

Hey everyone, I've read through the PH posts throughout the forum and felt my question was unique enough to warrant a new thread. I'm almost to the finishing step in a Purple Heartwood boken (wood sword for martial arts training) and need some advice. Typically I use Tung Oil (with White...
  10. TenguWoodwork

Display case for Japanese Armor

Another addition to the Fayetteville Dojo series (the Nyoibo/Human Being Bat, Torii, and Bisento are all for the same customer). This is a display case for a set of Japanese armor. It's Red Oak with plywood for the top, shelf, and floor. Except for the plywood, glass, and the top moulding this...
  11. TenguWoodwork

Torii (Japanese Gate)

So here is a series of photos of a Torii that I (with lots of help from my father/technical advisor/mutual splinter remover MrFixIt71) built for a Martial Art school owner in Fayetteville. A HUGE thank you to Scott Smith for his technical advice...and the critical 12ft, relatively straight, 12"...
  12. TenguWoodwork

A Wooden Wakazashi

Great job! Nice choice on the color scheme, and I love the butterfly knot on the scabbard. Did you mimic an actual blade to keep the hand guard in place?
  13. TenguWoodwork

Router Bit question

Hi Woodworkers, So I think I'm about due for a question. This one involves trying to simplify/ speed up my bokken (wood practice sword for martial arts) production. I'm curious if anyone knows a router bit that gives me an ellipse similar to the picture (insert, bottom left). The key is the...
  14. TenguWoodwork

Labor Rate Question

He's aware that this is more of a "gift" than a true business transaction, but I'll make sure to reiterate the later part. Thanks for the input. Thank you to everyone else for your input as well. You guys are awesome!
  15. TenguWoodwork

Labor Rate Question

Hi everyone, I'm building a display case/gun cabinet for a friend. Materials are going to be about $500 dollars (it includes some large tempered glass panels and a mirror). Add in driving from Durham to NC Hardwood for materials, and probably a drive to Fayetteville for delivery. What would be...
  16. TenguWoodwork

Advice please

So this project has dropped into the low priority category but he's looking for 3 stools about 17" tall (somewhere around normal "chair" height). These will be used by himself an 2 other employees, not general customers and once a month for a specific ceremony. The original photo is just a...
  17. TenguWoodwork

Large Project advice

Howdy everyone, I'm probably getting pretty "popular" with all my advice needed posts, but I thank everyone in advance. I've been asked to build a Torii Gate (japanese style gate) for a friend. It's going to be mounted one a wall, so in essence it's only half a gate(if cut on the coronal...
  18. TenguWoodwork

Advice please

Wow everyone. Thanks for the advice. Jeff, you get the Extra Mile Award. I'm meeting with my friend today to clarify some points and I'll post some of the initial questions. I just wanted to say thanks for all the support.
  19. TenguWoodwork

Lumber Run at Scott Smith's?

Odds are MrFixIt71 will bring me along to hurk wood around for him, so I'll probably pick up some of the Brazilian Cherry and some QSWO.
  20. TenguWoodwork

Advice please

Hi Woodworkers, My friend has asked me to build him a half dozen stools similar to the attached photo. They'll probably be painted or stained with dark walnut. It's my first shot at furniture, so I'd like some advice on: 1) Wood selection. The stools will be at his business and probably will...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS