Search results

1. W Burton

Wall Hanging Tool Cabinet

My cabinet is a continuous work in progress. I often rearrange it in order to add something, make it more efficient, etc. So, I built the majority of it from Baltic birch plywood. I covered the doors with a cherry veneer, but my basic idea was to make something that might have a few extra holes...
  2. W Burton

An Escape Hatch

Well, you just never know. As a Boy Scout, our motto was BE PREPARED . . . :gar-La;
  3. W Burton

An Escape Hatch

While on a recent trip, I something like this hanging on the wall in a gift shop. Figured there might be a time I would need an escape hatch myself, so here's my version:
  4. W Burton

Sign me up, please - looks like a good workshop. Bill B.
  5. W Burton

A ton of work down the can...

Okay, that is weird. I did the EXACT SAME THING on the guitar I am working on. I didn't get the center back strip trimmed at the neck block. Fortunately, I was able to go in with a chisel and remove enough of the bottom edge of the neck block to access the center strip and trim it, working...
  6. W Burton

A ton of work down the can...

HI Chris, What exactly were you doing when it went wrong? I see the results, and it is indeed painful to look at. I have a guitar in the works myself and I want to make sure I learn from it.
  7. W Burton

NCWW Contest June-July 2018: Share Pictures of your Project that shows off you best Joinery Skills!

Charlie should win on QUANTITY!!! (And the quality ain't bad, either.)
  8. W Burton

So, this happened.

Interested in plans for the taper jig, Mike. I have made a couple for specific size pieces but an adjustable one would be great.
  9. W Burton

Completed Patio Rocker

Here is the outdoor rocker finished and ready for someone to sit. The Waterlox did yellow it a bit, but that makes it match the "close-out discounted" cushion I was able to find. Also bought a $20 canvas chair cover to help protect the finish a bit. I am hoping to get a few years out of it...
  10. W Burton

Small bandsaw

I have the Rikon 10 bandsaw, and like it a lot. It has more power than I thought it would. It is pretty easy to adjust and holds its adjustments well.
  11. W Burton

Completed Patio Rocker

I have applied 2 coats of the Waterlox Marine Sealer and the first of 2 costs of the Marine Finish so far. Since I started with this system I will complete it and check compatibility of the Epifanes for a re-coating in a year or so.
  12. W Burton

Completed Patio Rocker

Thanks, Matt. I will make a note of Epiphanes Spar Varnish for my next outdoor piece — this chair is about halfway done with the Waterlox already. I may try to keep a cover on this chair to protect it and maybe make the finish last a bit longer.
  13. W Burton

Completed Patio Rocker

The leg and top are so massive that they are not going to move once they are locked in. Once the top is dropped down onto the leg, the pins go in and it can't be lifted off again. (Of course, gravity kinda helps with that also!) It could have had a bit of a wedge shape to it, but it is good and...
  14. W Burton

Completed Patio Rocker

Wow, good eye! They are walnut pins that go down into an angled slot and lock the top to the leg. The legs are each made of 4 pieces and match the 4 pieces of the top that they intersect. The outermost lamination is walnut for the top and an ash "dovetail" on the top of the leg. The 2nd and 4th...
  15. W Burton

Completed Patio Rocker

Thanks! Yes, I have used it on some other pieces out of cypress and it certainly does turn it yellow/light tan. I am good with the color. I just hope it postpones the inevitable gray that unfinished cypress turns.
  16. W Burton

Completed Patio Rocker

Now that I am retired it must be time to sit back and rock on the patio. So, I came up with this rocker. I had seen another rocker that had the seat suspended like this, but it was a bit flimsy, so my design strengthened some of the elements. Made of cypress with stainless hardware. Gonna finish...
  17. W Burton

Rare and Imaginary Tools

Gonna put the exhibition on my calendar -- would really like to see it!
  18. W Burton

Looking for someone to sharpen

I have been to workshops where Mike taught sharpening, and I can attest to his sharpening skills. He will get the blade sharp and can teach you how to keep it that way. I would take him up on the offer. In the mean time if you want someone closer, I can sharpen the blade and show you how I do...
  19. W Burton

Who is ready for a Beginners Scroll Saw Workshop?

I would like to join you for the scroll saw class on the 12th at Bill's shop if there is still room. I should be able to fit my Delta saw in my car and bring it along. Bill B
  20. W Burton

RDU lunch this friday

Well, I am finally a retiree and can attend these lunches! And it's even close by. I will plan to be there at 11:30 and hope to see some of you. Good luck on all your inspections, Phil!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS