Completed Patio Rocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Now that I am retired it must be time to sit back and rock on the patio. So, I came up with this rocker. I had seen another rocker that had the seat suspended like this, but it was a bit flimsy, so my design strengthened some of the elements. Made of cypress with stainless hardware. Gonna finish it with Waterlox Sealer and Finish.

Here are a couple photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Rocker01.jpg
    Rocker01.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 327
  • Rocker02.jpg
    Rocker02.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 327

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Very nice Bill, great design, can't wait to see it with the finish on it. Also very cool tool chest I see in the background.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Great looking rocker. It's on my list. Waterlox will yellow that cypress. I'd try it out on some scrap first to see if it's the color you want.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Great looking rocker. It's on my list. Waterlox will yellow that cypress. I'd try it out on some scrap first to see if it's the color you want.

Thanks! Yes, I have used it on some other pieces out of cypress and it certainly does turn it yellow/light tan. I am good with the color. I just hope it postpones the inevitable gray that unfinished cypress turns.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks! Yes, I have used it on some other pieces out of cypress and it certainly does turn it yellow/light tan. I am good with the color. I just hope it postpones the inevitable gray that unfinished cypress turns.

Will the chair be on a covered patio somewhat protected from direct sunlight? I like Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish and have used it on a lot of interior furniture. A better choice for your patio rocker may be Waterlox Marine or Epifanes Marine Spar Varnish.

https://www.waterlox.com/Find-Your-Finishing-System

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like that design with the "hanging" seat and it looks like a great place to relax!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Nice work Bill.
Looks a bit like the seat position is similar to an Andirondack chair, but implemented as a rocker.

Henry

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The hanging seat design just somehow projects the thought to relax. I also like the tool cabinet in your shop, all very nice!

redknife

New User
Chris
Great build. Like many outstanding woodworkers, fantastic surrounding work. I was studying your workbench leg>top mortise and tenon. On the rectangular tenon, are those darker pieces on the sides of the tenons wedged pins hammered from the top? I like that detail.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Great build. Like many outstanding woodworkers, fantastic surrounding work. I was studying your workbench leg>top mortise and tenon. On the rectangular tenon, are those darker pieces on the sides of the tenons wedged pins hammered from the top? I like that detail.

Wow, good eye! They are walnut pins that go down into an angled slot and lock the top to the leg. The legs are each made of 4 pieces and match the 4 pieces of the top that they intersect. The outermost lamination is walnut for the top and an ash "dovetail" on the top of the leg. The 2nd and 4th laminations of the legs are flush to allow the top to rest on the leg laminations. The third layer has that keyed angled locking joint.
I recently made a smaller model of the leg assembly and here are a couple of pictures of the assembly:

attachment.php

This shows the 4 laminations of the leg and top with the angled pins.

attachment.php

This photo is from the opposite side with the 4th layer removed to show how the walnut pins drop in to the slots. The top of the leg obviously has to be slightly narrower than the narrowest point of the bench top. That narrowest point of the bench top registers against the little protrusions directly under the slots allowing both slots to be even when assembled.

That's probably MUCH more information than you wanted, but I have always liked the way this leg goes together.

Attachments

• bench leg model01.jpg
    bench leg model01.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 229
  • bench leg model02.jpg
    bench leg model02.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 228

Jeff

New User
Jeff
but I have always liked the way this leg goes together.

That's a very interesting construction. How'd you come up with it and why did you use it rather than a rectangular mortise and wedged tenon? I'm missing the structural benefit but like the appearance.

W Burton

New User
Bill

That's a very interesting construction. How'd you come up with it and why did you use it rather than a rectangular mortise and wedged tenon? I'm missing the structural benefit but like the appearance.

The leg and top are so massive that they are not going to move once they are locked in. Once the top is dropped down onto the leg, the pins go in and it can't be lifted off again. (Of course, gravity kinda helps with that also!) It could have had a bit of a wedge shape to it, but it is good and tight with the straight pin.

I like playing around with fitting pieces together and just came up with that idea for an angled pin.

Here is another pinned joint I have been messing around with. The redheart pin secures the two pieces together:

attachment.php

This securing a walnut foot onto the cherry leg. No real purpose, just a fun little detail.

Attachments

• LIveEdgeTable04.jpg
    LIveEdgeTable04.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 183

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Bill, that is a wonderful piece of work. I love the suspended seat. I would respectfully disagree with your planned finish however. I have used Waterlox finishes for nearly 40 years, including Waterlox Marine. I love their finishes for interior work, but have not been impressed with their exterior products. I live on the NC coast. If you talk to people here who have boats, and are serious about using the best, most durable finishes for teak, mahogany, etc. there is little question that the product of choice is Epiphanes Marine Spar Varnish. The application process is lengthy and a pain, but the result is certainly worth it in my opinion, especially for a handmade piece of this quality. There are some other products out there that may approach Epiphanes that are not as tedious to apply, and Sikkens Cetol is one of them. Of course, these are just my own opinions, and I'm sure that whatever you use, the rocker will look fantastic. Great work.

Matt

W Burton

New User
Bill
Bill, that is a wonderful piece of work. I love the suspended seat. I would respectfully disagree with your planned finish however. I have used Waterlox finishes for nearly 40 years, including Waterlox Marine. I love their finishes for interior work, but have not been impressed with their exterior products. I live on the NC coast. If you talk to people here who have boats, and are serious about using the best, most durable finishes for teak, mahogany, etc. there is little question that the product of choice is Epiphanes Marine Spar Varnish. The application process is lengthy and a pain, but the result is certainly worth it in my opinion, especially for a handmade piece of this quality. There are some other products out there that may approach Epiphanes that are not as tedious to apply, and Sikkens Cetol is one of them. Of course, these are just my own opinions, and I'm sure that whatever you use, the rocker will look fantastic. Great work.

Matt

Thanks, Matt. I will make a note of Epiphanes Spar Varnish for my next outdoor piece — this chair is about halfway done with the Waterlox already. I may try to keep a cover on this chair to protect it and maybe make the finish last a bit longer.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks, Matt. I will make a note of Epiphanes Spar Varnish for my next outdoor piece — this chair is about halfway done with the Waterlox already. I may try to keep a cover on this chair to protect it and maybe make the finish last a bit longer.

So you're using Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish (for interior use) and not their Waterlox Marine Finish system? Matt's advice about Epifanes Marine Spar Varnish is spot on too-it's an excellent product. Maybe it could be applied over the Waterlox without adhesion problems, etc. :dontknow: Matt may have a few thoughts about that.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=92#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS