A ton of work down the can...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20180722_142508.jpg

I made a rookie mistake...I knew better and that's what stings. In all honesty I was never satisfied with this one anyway so it's probably for the best.

It took me all of 45 minutes to thickness sand and bend two new sides. I'm going to fast track this one so I'll stay on my "A" game...

20180722_170925.jpg

20180722_183817.jpg

20180722_185807.jpg

W Burton

New User
Bill
HI Chris,

What exactly were you doing when it went wrong? I see the results, and it is indeed painful to look at. I have a guitar in the works myself and I want to make sure I learn from it.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
HI Chris,

What exactly were you doing when it went wrong? I see the results, and it is indeed painful to look at. I have a guitar in the works myself and I want to make sure I learn from it.

Forgot to trim back the center strip on the back so it would clear the neck block. I thought about it but was so focused on fitting the brace pockets that I waited. And then I forgot it and didn't catch it when I was checking the final fit. Glued the back on and it came out good... Until I saw the 1/16" gap between where the block was resting on the strip.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Forgot to trim back the center strip on the back so it would clear the neck block. I thought about it but was so focused on fitting the brace pockets that I waited. And then I forgot it and didn't catch it when I was checking the final fit. Glued the back on and it came out good... Until I saw the 1/16" gap between where the block was resting on the strip.

Heartache after so much work. So did you just break it apart? If so did you not use hide glue? On the new sides it looks like burn marks from heat bending. Are you going to scrape those out before or after assembly?

W Burton

New User
Bill

Okay, that is weird. I did the EXACT SAME THING on the guitar I am working on. I didn't get the center back strip trimmed at the neck block. Fortunately, I was able to go in with a chisel and remove enough of the bottom edge of the neck block to access the center strip and trim it, working through the sound hole. I then cleaned up the bottom of the neck block, mitering it with a chisel so I could get a clean face and glue in a piece at the bottom of the block. I was lucky that it wasn't too far under the neck block, and I could access it for a repair. It isn't pretty, but I am hoping it will work. (Planning to attach the neck this week.)

attachment.php

Attachments

• repair.jpg
    repair.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 325

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Yep... a couple of light scorch marks. They'll come out easily enough after I get the box closed.

I started taking it apart but got frustrated and smashed it with a carvers mallet. I used titebond. I had been researching hide glue for a different project with the intent of transitioning it into guitar building as well. I may try to incorporate it into this build but not sure at this point.

This one had fought me from the beginning. That's why I smashed it..... Didn't want substandard work floating around with my name on it.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
misery loves company

was testing the wedge and apparently grain should be running the lengthwise

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180723_174729.jpg
    20180723_174729.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 265

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
New back ready for glue. I ran the boards over the jointer to get them close and then finished them with my Miller's Falls #24 (equivalent to Stanley #8).

20180724_185006.jpg

All glued up....

20180724_193157.jpg

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can trade you some weights for all that cast iron you are using just for "hold-downs" :rotflm:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
New back ready for glue. I ran the boards over the jointer to get them close and then finished them with my Miller's Falls #24 (equivalent to Stanley #8).

attachment.php

All glued up....

attachment.php

Did you use hide glue this time? Musical instruments always need repairs down the road. Yellow glue is not easy- hide glue is simple.

I like the book match figure of the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS