Search results

1. Mtnman

General Instruments Moisture Meter - Lowes $9.98 - Pin Type

Probably the difference in price on the moisture meter is regional depending on area.
  2. Mtnman

Raised plant beds

I have been told that the pressure treated wood we have today is treated with non toxic chemicals so there should be no reason to not use it for a raised garden. Pressure treated wood is used in playgrounds now days and is considered safe.
  3. Mtnman

Template Cutting with a Jig Saw

Saw this tip in Woodsmith Tips. Thought it may be usefull to our members. I have not tried it yet, but it seems to make sense to me. What do you think? http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2011/01/27/cutting-with-a-jig-saw/?utm_source=WoodsmithTips&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4455
  4. Mtnman

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

Man what a bummer. Reminds me of the old saying, "I cut this board twice, and it is still too short!" Mtnman :BangHead:
  5. Mtnman

Old Philip Head Screwdrivers

Does anyone know the proper way to sharpen or re-new old worn Phillip head screwdrivers? Is this even possible? I have several that are so worn and damaged that they slip in the screw head. Hate to throw them away if they can be restored by filing or grinding the tips. Anyone have any ideas or...
  6. Mtnman

Problem ripping wood on table saw

One other thing that can cause this is the board you are ripping. If it does not have a straight edge against the fence or is concave to the fence you could get the results that you describe. Hope this helps, Mtnman
  7. Mtnman

Sometimes 240v IS more powerful!

I may be way off on this, but it is my understanding that electric company's meters measure the current that passes through them. (not voltage). So is it reasonable to assume that if you use 220v for your machines, they will use 1/2 less current and run the meter 1/2 less than 110v? Would this...
  8. Mtnman

Halloween pig pickin

Robert, I need an address ( your Pig Picking) for my GPS. Holly Pickled Pig Lips! Sounds like a really great time! Mtnman28749@yahoo.com
  9. Mtnman

glazing kitchen cabinets

maybe this will help. http://www.ehow.com/how_2067330_apply-glaze-wood-furniture.html I have used this process and had good results. At one time there were glazing kits avaiable in many colors and textures, but I have not seen them in the last 10 years. Maybe a paint store can tell you where to...
  10. Mtnman

Review - Lousy Websites

This seems to be a problem on TV also. Those pop ups should be illegal. I thought there were restrictions on the amount of time devoted to commercials. They already have 20 minutes out of every hour, and if you are paying for Direct TV you are paying for the commercials too. I just hit mute...
  11. Mtnman

GSO CL: 1-3/4" solid oak doors $10@ - worktops?

How wide are the doors? Are they left or right swing? Are they oak or just oak finish?
  12. Mtnman

Magnetic Base Lamp $7.99 @ H.Freight

Will this lamp stand up on a wooden table, or does it require a magnetic surface?
  13. Mtnman

How much drift adjustment does a bandsaw fence need?

I agree that every bandsaw blade seems to have it's own degree of drift, but dosen't the grain in the wood you are cutting also have a large effect on drift? I use a featherboard when ripsawing to help reduce drift.
  14. Mtnman

Table Saw Fence Alignment

I have always wondered about this also. Only thing I can tell you is that once when I was sawing multiple thin strips of of white oak, I experienced some saw blade burning. I skewed the fence just a tiny bit and got a much better cut. Problem is I am not sure if the fence was slightly skewed...
  15. Mtnman

Old Canister Shop vac's

Probably most of you have figured out that the bottom half of an old shop vac that no longer works makes a great trash can. Especially if it is metal and has casters on the bottom. I have several in my shop, and I like the fact that they are fire proof and I can roll it up close to where I am...
  16. Mtnman

How do I avoid downloading off topic threads

I did not want to start a hot discussion on this "off Topic" feature. I just wondered if there was a way to display the information I am truly interested in reading. Froglips expressed it very well in saying "User defined forum filtering was my understanding too". I don't want to change the way...
  17. Mtnman

How do I avoid downloading off topic threads

The title says it all. I really don't want to have to scroll through the off topic threads to look at subjects that deal only with woodworking subjects. Is there a way I can block the off topic stuff when viewing new threads? Thanks, Mtnman
  18. Mtnman

Finished turned duck calls.

Nice job on the duck calls! Do they say "here duck, here duck" when you blow them? :rotflm:
  19. Mtnman

Happy Birthday Mtnman

Thank's everyone for the birthday good wishes. I am 71 today and feel good about that, however I wish I were much younger. Woodworking helps me to look forward to each new day and I still enjoy working in the shop. My wife always has a new project for me to complete. Right now she wants to...
  20. Mtnman

How to get a 700lb crate out of the back of a truck (pre-gloat)

I bought an 800 pound wood stove at Home Depot in asheville. It was in a wood crate and I hauled it home in the back of my pick up truck. I just got two 2x10's 10 ft long and set them on the tailgate. Four neighbors helped to slide it onto the 2x10's which I had greased with a pound of lard. It...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS