Old Canister Shop vac's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Probably most of you have figured out that the bottom half of an old shop vac that no longer works makes a great trash can. Especially if it is metal and has casters on the bottom. I have several in my shop, and I like the fact that they are fire proof and I can roll it up close to where I am working.
Not rocket science, but may be someone will use this tip.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks for the idea, Talley. Most of us only replace a shop vac when it bites the dust, and a lot probably toss the old one in the dumpster.

This can be another item on the dumpster-diver's list. :eusa_thin

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
You also might want to check with your cat-loving friends. We have six indoor cats and go through a large bucket of litter about every two weeks. These square buckets are perfect for placing at each machine for small cutoffs and trash. Not on wheels but easy to carry by the handle and square so they sit tightly against cabinets.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Probably most of you have figured out that the bottom half of an old shop vac that no longer works makes a great trash can. Especially if it is metal and has casters on the bottom. I have several in my shop, and I like the fact that they are fire proof and I can roll it up close to where I am working.
Not rocket science, but may be someone will use this tip.

That's a good tip. The first time I saw this was during the shop crawl a year, or so, ago. When you see it you say "d'uh!"... but before then I hadn't thought out it!

Odd Zak

New User
Joe
Hey, I just had to replace my Shop Vac! I hadn't thought about reusing the base. Thanks for the tip. Actually, I thought about recycling the entire vacuum, but I didn't know what type of plastic it was. Now I feel better about not dumping it out on the curb yet.

Thanks!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Good idea, Talley! I use my old base for cutoffs. Easy to roll around the shop too.:icon_thum

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have a dead shop vac in the barn/shop now. Good idea. Now if I can find a use for the attachments. I have about 3 sets now and no working shop vac.

I also use the plastic containers from dead paper shredders as trash/recyclable bins, but they are in the house in the pantry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS