Search results

1. blackhawk

Trying something a little different for table legs

I am making a walnut coffee table using a slab that I milled and dried. I wanted something different for the legs, so I decided to make them oval. They are 3.2" x 6" and 18"' long. I glued these up from two pieces of 8/4 walnut.
  2. blackhawk

Opinions on General Finishes Hard Wax Oil?

Has anyone tried the General Finishes hard wax oil yet? Search I'm building a walnut slab coffee table and I am thinking about using it on that.
  3. blackhawk

WTB - Tormek Scissor Jig

I'm looking for a Tormek SVX-150 scissor jig if anyone has one lying around that they no longer use.
  4. blackhawk

Kiln Dried Black Walnut Slabs and turning blanks

I just finished up a load of black walnut in my Nyle kiln. I have a dozen slabs of various sizes. Pictures and pricing are on my website (link is below). I attached pictures of a few samples. I also have several 3x3x46 turning blanks for $20 each. 13 pcs. of 4/4 x 6-3/4" x 8' lumber at $7...
  5. blackhawk

Nyle Kiln build completed!

I just finished my first load out of my Nyle L53 powered kiln yesterday. I started building the Kiln in September and didn't get it finished until the end of February. There are an unbelievable amount of details involved with building a kiln and setting it up correctly. I still have a few...
  6. blackhawk

Big cherry bowl

Just finished up a large 14" diameter cherry bowl last night on the lathe. This wood came from a cherry tree that was blown over in my neighborhood a couple of years ago. It also took out the power line with it, so half my neighborhood was without power for over 24 hours before they got it...
  7. blackhawk

Economical source for multi-tool blades

Where is everyone getting their multi-tool blades? I just got a cordless one and have been using it more often than my corded one. The blades at Lowe's average around $15 each even in a multi-pack. I purchased some Integra brand from Amazon about a year ago and they have been ok. There are a...
  8. blackhawk

Epoxy slab flattening bit

Does anyone that uses their CNC to flatten epoxy slabs have a good recommendation for an insert cutter. Right now I have one that uses two carbide inserts and is 1-3/8" diameter. I run it on my CNC with a Porter Cable 7518 router. I have trouble with tearout when flattening epoxy slabs unless...
  9. blackhawk

Plywood face veneer is getting ridiculously thin

I've been recently cutting some prefinished maple plywood on my CNC. My customer is making garage cabinets and he supplied the plywood. It is from a cabinet supply warehouse in Roanoke, VA. A piece of the face veneer flaked off one part. I measured it with my Mitutoyo micrometers at .010"...
  10. blackhawk

Need a dehumidifier that lasts, suggestions?

I've ran a dehumidifier for my roughly 500 square foot basement shop for the past 20 years. I've probably been through at least 10 dehumidifiers in that time span. I've replaced 5 under warranty. Probably 3 or 4 died just after the warranty ran out. I only had 1 that lasted more than 2...
  11. blackhawk

Building lumber prices really are dropping

I was about to start building a solar kiln earlier this year, but never got it started. I had made a list of materials with prices on March 25th, 2022 that I ran across. This is how the prices compare to today (9/21/2022). Both old and new prices are from Lowe's. 2x4x8' framing lumber was...
  12. blackhawk

WTB: enclosed trailer

I am looking to buy an enclosed trailer. My ideal trailer would be a 6x10, V-nose, with a ramp door. A ramp door is a must, but I am OK with a flat nose. Largest size that I would consider is a 6x12. I am willing to travel for the right trailer. Trailer needs to be in good to great shape...
  13. blackhawk

Hydraulic lift table

Foot operated hydraulic lift table base. Has a 26" diameter base and adjusts from 25-1/2" to 32-1/2" tall. Solid steel industrial construction. Not sure of total capacity but I have tested it to lift at least 200lbs. $60 I bought this at a surplus auction from a university. It was used in...
  14. blackhawk

Wood ID help

I slabbed this log for a customer on Saturday. I have never seen anything like it. It is very light on the outside and nearly back in the center. I cut these at Claytor Lake, VA which is about 30 miles due north of Mt. Airy, NC as the crow flies. I didn't get a good pic of the bark, but the...
  15. blackhawk

Help with solar power to run kiln fans

Hello All - I am looking to build a VT solar kiln in the future. Because of my neighbor's trees, I need to locate the kiln about 75 feet from my garage. It would be near impossible to run power that far from my garage due to very rocky soil (huge rocks). So, I want to use solar to power my...
  16. blackhawk

Custom sawing/slabbing, and slab flattening in Virginia

Hello All - I just added a Lucas 7-23 mill to my arsenal. I am offering custom sawing/slabbing services. I can also flatten slabs with the planing head attachment. The mill has a 5' wide x 20' long capacity. I am located in Fairlawn, VA between Blacksburg and Radford. I grew up just across...
  17. blackhawk

Table saw sanding discs - any good?

Has anyone tried the 10" table saw sanding kit offered by Klingspor? Klingspor's 10" Calibration & Sanding, 7 Piece Disc Kit It doesn't have any reviews. Even if you haven't used the one in Klingspor, please comment on how well they work in general. Thanks
  18. blackhawk

Looking for source for 8.5 feet long turning

I have a client that I have been doing some CNC work for that is restoring an old house. He needs a wooden porch column made to replace one that is rotten. It is 8.5 feet long and roughly 10" diameter at the base. It does taper from bottom to the top. The current columns are hollow and were...
  19. blackhawk

Anyone want to buy some cherry for $50 per bf?

Check out this piece of cherry at Black Dog Salvage in Roanoke,VA. These are the guys with the Salvage Dawgs TV show. It is selling for a cool $1795 or approximately $50 per bf. They are throwing in shipping so you would have that going for you. They put these crazy prices out there all the...
  20. blackhawk

CNC endmill sharpening?

Has anyone gotten their CNC router endmills sharpened? Just wondering how they compared to new. I am in Virginia and the closest place to me is in Roanoke for resharpening. They charge $16 per endmill. I pay $40-$50 for a new 1/2" endmill, so $16 isn't a bad deal, if it comes back in near...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors