Need a dehumidifier that lasts, suggestions?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I've ran a dehumidifier for my roughly 500 square foot basement shop for the past 20 years. I've probably been through at least 10 dehumidifiers in that time span. I've replaced 5 under warranty. Probably 3 or 4 died just after the warranty ran out. I only had 1 that lasted more than 2 years, actually made it to 4 years old. I always buy the 50 pint models which is plenty for my size shop. I've been through about every brand there is. Lowes and Home Depot change brands that they sell about every 2-3 years.

Has anyone came across a dehumidifier that has consistently survived for at least 3 years that doesn't get replaced by a new model every season? I'm looking to add one to my 480 square foot garage.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a portable one that I plan to sell. I used it for a few years until I finally had HVAC run to my basement shop (about 800 sq ft). It worked well for me. Asking $40, if you don't mind making a trip to the Raleigh area.

IMG_3449.JPG
IMG_3450.JPG

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I can't say I've had as bad of luck as you, but I tend to consider them as semi-disposable, and if they last five years I consider myself lucky. My current Toshiba is on year 4 and it works pretty decent in my damp basement, routinely bringing the RH below comfort levels, like 35%. So there's one data point for you. Consumer grade dehumidifiers are definitely engineered to a price point which means running the compressor hard and skimping on refrigeration capacity, so I'm not surprised when they die. I'm sure they'd last a lot longer if I cleaned the coils every month, changed the filter etc, but I just can't find time to do it.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Have you tried the type that are designed for crawl spaces? I really don’t know if they last any longer, but they are more expensive…so they should, right? (Ha!) They do have a 5 year warranty. I’ve had this one in my crawlspace for over 2 years with no problems so far.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brad, (@blackhawk) I think Willie, might have hit is on the head...
If you want a robust humidifier - you need to get one designed for craw spaces - and they rage from $800 and up... many in the $1000 - $1200 range (see below as an alternative to Aprilaire)

But then the benefit analysis kicks in, how many low-cost (lower cost) humidifiers can you buy and replace before you buy a 3-5 year $1000 humidifier?!?!?

Echd

C
User
I have a 70 pint frigidaire draining into my basement sink that has been running for around 5 years. A few months ago it threw an error code that cut it off, turned out to be oxidation on some sensor so I scrubbed it off and it's still going.

Doesnt have much problem keeping my ~1500 sqft basement at 45% RH. It does have to run nearly constantly in hot and humid weather, but it does it.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
I have a 70 pint frigidaire draining into my basement sink that has been running for around 5 years. A few months ago it threw an error code that cut it off, turned out to be oxidation on some sensor so I scrubbed it off and it's still going.

Doesnt have much problem keeping my ~1500 sqft basement at 45% RH. It does have to run nearly constantly in hot and humid weather, but it does it.
I think that's the same one I have.

Before I moved here, I had it set up to drain into a condensate pump which would then pump into the sewer line.

I have it set up in my basement here but being a much newer and better built house as well as having heat and a/c in the basement, it rarely runs

ssmith

New User
Scott
One of these Santa Fe Dehumidifiers ran in our crawl space flawlessly for 4 years (we moved at that point but it may still be running).

They're guaranteed for 6, but as others have mentioned, cost is north of $1000 and may be an issue.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
There's a company that makes crawl space dehumidifiers in Surf City, NC. I had my 2500 sq ft crawl space encapsulated in 2018 and installed a Seaira Global dehumidifier. I've been running it since. Had a problem with the circuit board once and the installer replaced the board within a week. No other issues.
www.seairaglobal.com

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the replies. I'd look to stay under $400 for a unit. The crawl space units also take up a bit more real estate than a conventional unit.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I had the same problems and finally decided to quit buying that type of dehumidifier. I bought a "commercial" Aprilaire that is made for basements and crawl spaces. I have a basement shop that is probably 1000 Sq ft and this thing has been trouble free. Like you, I was replacing the 70 pint units every two years. I expect this to be cheaper in the long run. I also connected a "Little Giant" pump to the output so I don't have to worry about emptying everyday.

gritz

New User
Robert
I bought a couple of 50 or 70 pint units that died after about 2 or 3 summer humidity seasons.
So, I bought an Aprilaire and ducted it through my furnace using four 8" dampers, two normally open and two normally closed. It worked as needed with 12v power from a connection in the Aprilaire, bypassing the dehumidifier unless needed. Unfortunately, after two failed units from Aprilaire, and their failure to honor their warranty on the replacement, I went back to using 50 pint units draining into a shower pan.
If anyone has an interest in the four dampers, I'll make you a deal on them.

fjdog

New User
Roland
Is there a consensus on the optimal humidity level to strive for to help ward off rusty cast iron? I just broke down and bought my first cheapie dehumidifier (Amazon basics) a couple of months ago for my one-car garage shop. It was always a fight to keep my tools very well waxed constantly during the summer and my shop time is limited so hopefully I can wax less frequently. I see 45% and 35% above. Is it necessary to go this low?

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Is there a consensus on the optimal humidity level to strive for to help ward off rusty cast iron? I just broke down and bought my first cheapie dehumidifier (Amazon basics) a couple of months ago for my one-car garage shop. It was always a fight to keep my tools very well waxed constantly during the summer and my shop time is limited so hopefully I can wax less frequently. I see 45% and 35% above. Is it necessary to go this low?
I have had no issues at 50%

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
No such animal. $150 from big box or $1500 "comercial" all seem to be junk. On my third* one in 6 years in my crawlspace, third cheap portable in the shop.
he cheap ones it seems the pump is the most failing part, so I put a hand-me down on a high shelf to gravity drain and it has held up OK.

I have a split-system HVAC, but alas, the super efficient mandated systems run just about at the dew point so they do a terrible job of de-humidifying. In other words, to save energy, I have to run a second unit of low efficency using more total electricity.

I target 50%, but still get a tiny bit of rust if I am not watching. I think I will lower it to 45.

*$1500 Sani-Dry. They had a 5 year warrantee, so next one is on me. Santa-fe are said to be a little better. For that much money, they should last 25 years, not two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS