Looking for source for 8.5 feet long turning

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I have a client that I have been doing some CNC work for that is restoring an old house. He needs a wooden porch column made to replace one that is rotten. It is 8.5 feet long and roughly 10" diameter at the base. It does taper from bottom to the top. The current columns are hollow and were made by joining narrow boards together and then either turned on a very large lathe or someone spent a lot of time with a spokeshave. Anyone know of someone that could build a wooden column to match? My client can provide one to use as a pattern.

Thanks

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
google architectural foam suppliers. a lot of theses massive columns are done with foam these days.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
The problem is that he is trying to match his existing posts, so it would need to be a custom piece. The other possibility would be to make it in three 34" sections and then have round tenons to connect the pieces together. This will be painted so the seams could be puttied.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Is it load bearing?. It needs to be coopered like a barrel and while most appear tapered (straight) theyre a large curved shape generally. Does it need a base as well? and crown?. Any idea what the original was made from?.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Depending on the number of columns it may be more economical to replace all of them rather than pay someone to make a custom one to match the existing ones. If this one is rotten it's likely some of the others aren't far behind. I have five columns similar to what you describe on my front porch. These are a composite material that is paintable and won't rot.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS