Selling Products by ncwoodworker members.

If are reasonably sure that you will participate in the .COM site, if the dues are OK, please select

• Not More than $5/month

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Not More than $10/month

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Not More than $15/month

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Not More than $20/month

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Not More than $25/month

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Not More than $30/month

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
There was a move to set up a new site Welcome to www.ncwoodworker.com which would allow ncwoodworker.net members to display their wares and attempt to sell them. Or take custom orders.

I can't find the relevant thread(s), not the ones in the .COM forum but the ones in the general forum. Perhaps DaveO could find them, he knows where all the bodies are buried.:lol:

Anyway, the initiative died. I am not sure exactly why, but I've given it a lot of thought both before it started and after it died. I still think that it might work. So I am going to try and revive this issue for a bit. But this time instead of just making suggestions, I'll spell it out and agree to take on some of the work.

First, what kind of site would it be? Well, mostly it would be a place for you to either display items for sale and/or display samples to drum up business. The site would not be a part of the actual sale. The site would provide a "secure" means for buyers and sellers to conduct their business. The actual taking of orders and shipping of items would between the buyer and seller. Transfer of money would also be done this way, but it might be possible for the site to help in this too.

What will I do to get this stared?

• I will get the site set up.
  • I will act webmaster.
  • I will act as site designer or get one as I see fit.
  • I will act as treasurer.
  • I will make the rules, at least in the beginning.
  • I will keep it going until and if the group wishes to take it over, much like I have done with this site.
  • I will create the legal framework to operate the site (and ncwoodworker.net and woodworking-galleries.com)
So what's the catch? Money of course:shocked7fl: :slap: :lol:

What's the money for? To pay for ADVERTISING. Without it, we might as well not start:yes4lo: No one will ever find the site, much less buy from it, if they don't know about it:BangHead: :eyeslam:

So the question that was raised before was where does the money come from? The answer was commisions. For a variety of reasons that will not work. So I propose that this be done by paying dues. Not by our membership, but by those members who wish to use the new site to sell their wares. One month's dues buys you one month of selling on the site. It also buys you the right to participate in the decision making process. In fact, before the site is up, that is all it will buy.:lol:

Anyway, I need a way to figure out what the dues should be. So, the attached. Please don't vote in poll unless you really intend to use the new site.

Also, please use this thread to discuss the whole idea.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I can't find the relevant thread(s), not the ones in the .COM forum but the ones in the general forum. Perhaps DaveO could find them, he knows where all the bodies are buried.:lol:

Steve, is this the one you are thinking about...it was right next to Jimmy Hoffa

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4294

I think that it was, and still is a good idea, and something that is very doable with the right guidance (we just weren't getting anywhere in the .COM discussions, nobody really knew where to start), I have complete faith that you, Steve, can make a site work :icon_thum :-D
If I could sell one thing every few months, $20 (or possibly more) would be worth it for me.
I am all for it :icon_thum :icon_thum

Dave:)

dozer

Mike
I'm with Dave, I see no problem with $20 a month or more. Now I just need time in the shop to be able to make something to sell.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I am also with Dave. If I could make and sell some thing evey month it would be worth the money

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Though I wouldn't have much to sell, I voted.

Maybe you could have a structure for one-time sales (a fee model), and another for "store owners" that pay monthly with unlimited postings. Just a thought :eusa_thin

b4man

New User
Barbara
Admittedly, I don't know jack about dot Com's other than loosing more than I made on them in the stock market a few years ago. I guess when I thought up the store idea I was mostly thinking about our 'not as professional or acclaimed' woodworkers as many of us who are. Many have their own websites they establish and maintain, beautifully I might add but there are so many people like Cathy who are just coming into their own so to speak that may not want/able to commit to a web base business.
I support the guru's like Steve and DaveO, Woodguy to name a very few who have more experience and expertise than most in their fields, whatever they want to do is fine by me. I just didn't realize that we needed another site to offer our goods if we let the membership know we are happy to sell what we make if anyone is interested.
Just my thoughts.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Admittedly, I don't know jack about dot Com's other than loosing more than I made on them in the stock market a few years ago. I guess when I thought up the store idea I was mostly thinking about our 'not as professional or acclaimed' woodworkers as many of us who are. Many have their own websites they establish and maintain, beautifully I might add but there are so many people like Cathy who are just coming into their own so to speak that may not want/able to commit to a web base business.
I support the guru's like Steve and DaveO, Woodguy to name a very few who have more experience and expertise than most in their fields, whatever they want to do is fine by me. I just didn't realize that we needed another site to offer our goods if we let the membership know we are happy to sell what we make if anyone is interested.
Just my thoughts.
Barbara, this thread wasn't in response to your post. Members who wish to offer to sell their wares to other members or even the general public are more than than welcome to do so, on this site. We can setup a special section just for that if we want to. No problem. Moderators/Webmaster????

The issue is for our members who want to sell their products and/or services to people who are not members. The people who come to this site are not the general public who want to buy something.

Here are some pertinent quotes from previous messages that help explain the issue.

SteveColes said:
Strictly for Marketing reasons, you want the storefront(Domain default) to be a totally different beast than what you get here. You will drive customer's away if they have to navigate this site.

Mike Davis said:
This site (ncwoodworker.net) should be and is for wood workers to share, educate, enjoy and learn from each other.
A .com site would be to market, sell, educate and inform the public of the beauty, value and superiority of high quality, natural wood furniture, pens, turnings and crafts.

Two separate places with separate missions but supporting each other

A site like I am proposing is to help those who want a web presence, but don't know how to do it, or don't want to. It is perfect for those who want test the waters, etc. Selling on the web requires a significant, for an individual, amount of advertising dollars. This aprroach allows those who want to share the advertising costs. All dues would go to advertising and nothing else. Once we get the total monthly dues from the group up to a point, we will have enough advertising dollars to actually draw people to the site who are interested in buying. That's when people will actually start to make some money.

J

jeff...

Quick question - does it have to be "natural wood furniture, pens, turnings and crafts".

Can materials like lumber, turning, bowl, duck call, turkey call, kinife and pen blanks be sold too?

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Quick question - does it have to be "natural wood furniture, pens, turnings and crafts".

Can materials like lumber, turning, bowl, duck call, turkey call, kinife and pen blanks be sold too?

Thanks

I think if it is made of wood and you had your hand in making it then it would be included. You know lumber doesn't grow on trees somebody has to make it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I set up a forum in Buy and Sell named Member's Offerings.

We can change the name if anybody has a better suggestion.

This is for member's to sell your work here. As Barbara said there are several people I may want to make a Christmas gift for someone very special. But I'm not sure who to ask.

If you have items ready to sell now make a post and make someone happy with your work!

Mike, I like that idea and I think even if a member doesn't have works already made, offering custom services would be great also :icon_thum

J

jeff...

I think if it is made of wood and you had your hand in making it then it would be included. You know lumber doesn't grow on trees somebody has to make it.

God makes it - I just cut it :-D

Monty

New User
Monty
As long as it takes me to complete a project, I think I'd be pretty lousy at selling my stuff! I think it's a good idea though... I'll let those who might benefit from this vote in the poll.

DavidF

New User
David
How about CAD services? I have offered before to take peoples sketches and turn them into "presentable" renderings that they then may take or display for potential clients?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
How about CAD services? I have offered before to take peoples sketches and turn them into "presentable" renderings that they then may take or display for potential clients?

that sounds like a great idea!

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I'm all for it. A small part of my income is based on commissions. The more product I move the better.

Some questions, though:

If a client wants a custom work, a turning for example, how will it be determined who gets the work? Would there be a "artist-information" section to "choose your artist for this commission?"

Also, what kind of marketing would be required to reach the general public?

Big question: How, and who would set the prices? I might charge $250 for a portraite, when someone else charges $300. Would we then be competing with each other for clients?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
David, if you are talking about the .COM, the answer is no. If you are talking about the forum here, then I think the answer is yes.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm all for it. A small part of my income is based on commissions. The more product I move the better.

Some questions, though:

If a client wants a custom work, a turning for example, how will it be determined who gets the work? Would there be a "artist-information" section to "choose your artist for this commission?"

Also, what kind of marketing would be required to reach the general public?

Big question: How, and who would set the prices? I might charge $250 for a portraite, when someone else charges $300. Would we then be competing with each other for clients?
Each member is their own store. The .COM site would only be front end to display either what you have for sale and/or examples to entice custom work.

Yes, there would be an artist information section.

Advertising, Web Based.

You or others don't have to publish prices. That can be between buyer and seller. But yes, you may be competing with other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS