Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've been looking at a new cyclone dust collectors for a while now, with the top candidates being the Grizzly G0441 and Oneida V-3000. Then the Shop Fox W1809 went on sale, which appears to be an exact copy of the G0441: 3HP, same impeller/ filter size, same CFM etc. So I ordered one from Rick at The Woodworking Source, and it was promptly delivered yesterday.

One minor problem. Did I mention exact copy? The G0441 is 93 1/4" tall. The W1809 is 109 1/4" tall. My basement is 104" tall...

:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Not sure how I'm going to fix this one yet...maybe throw a party to raise the roof?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
oops?? OUCH!!!! no problem. just cut out the floor above and lay a rug over the hole....:rotflm:

Is there any way to use a shorter barrel under the cyclone or maybe offset the barrel to the side?:widea:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
oops?? OUCH!!!! no problem. just cut out the floor above and lay a rug over the hole....:rotflm:

Is there any way to use a shorter barrel under the cyclone or maybe offset the barrel to the side?:widea:
That's probably what I'll do. There is a 35 gallon drum that I can buy (vs the 55 gallon drum). Between an angle grinder and some spray paint I should be able to make it fit. But I'm still in bang-head-against-the-wall mode for the rest of the day as opposed to find-a-solution mode. :BangHead:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I understand the :BangHead:! I have often wondered if those cyclones could be mounted sideways and still be as effective. seems with that much air circling around it would work. the cyclone i have seen have pieces inside the cone that direct the air flow. think about it a tornado doesnt stop destroying stuff when the funnel is sideways.:cool:

manfre

New User
Manfre
This would be a good justification for building/buying a shed for your DC to sit outside.

cpw

New User
Charles
The G0441 is 93 1/4" tall. The W1809 is 109 1/4" tall. My basement is 104" tall...

I almost made that same mistake when I was looking at a ClearVue, except my limit is 91". Fortunately, they ceased production before I could order. I'm thinking about an 86" JDS system instead.

At least you stupidity didn't involve the phrase, "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Man I was worried that you cut a body part off:swoon: I do not know how wide the top part of the DC is or what kind og ceiling you have but is there away you can cut the ceiling out where you are planing on parking the DC and then reframe and resheet that cutout higher so that the top part will fit up into that recess

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The ceiling in my new shop 114". I will give you $200 for it and even come pick it up myself.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Man I was worried that you cut a body part off:swoon: I do not know how wide the top part of the DC is or what kind og ceiling you have but is there away you can cut the ceiling out where you are planing on parking the DC and then reframe and resheet that cutout higher so that the top part will fit up into that recess
Great minds think alike :) (not that I'd imply you were stupid like me... :rolf:) I just poked a hole through the drywall ceiling and it looks like I have 8" joists. Plenty of room to cut a small recess (the motor is the part that's sticking out, which is pretty small) and gain an extra 5-6".

The ceiling in my new shop 114". I will give you $200 for it and even come pick it up myself.
Wow, what a tremendously generous offer!!! For that kind of money, I'll deliver! I'll be there between 4pm and 6pm, between today and 2091. :gar-Bi

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Great minds think alike :) (not that I'd imply you were stupid like me... :rolf:) I just poked a hole through the drywall ceiling and it looks like I have 8" joists. Plenty of room to cut a small recess (the motor is the part that's sticking out, which is pretty small) and gain an extra 5-6".

Wow, what a tremendously generous offer!!! For that kind of money, I'll deliver! I'll be there between 4pm and 6pm, between today and 2091. :gar-Bi

I'll offer $200.01:rotflm:
If you go with a cutout make sure you make it big enough to allow airflow around the motor for cooling. I would also frame the opening and use fire code sheet rock to provide a fire barrier just to be safe.:icon_thum

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Congratulations on the acquisition. That thing weighs over 300# doesn't it? Your wife must be very strong.
James

bwat

New User
Bill
That is an awesome unit, same model as Jeremy I believe Hope you saved your holiday cash for Nordfab duct work?

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Better to have this problem vs the opposite...

I know of people who built things in their shop that became too big to get out!!!!

Airplanes, kit cars, you name it; trust me you got off easy.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Bas -

It looks like, in the parts manual, that the flex hose (part 55) connecting the cyclone to the collection drum is 13" long. Could you cut that down and then lower the stand to match and just be able to slip the whole unit in under your ceiling? You might even have to, or be able to, cut the nipples at both ends of the flex hose (off the funnel - part 49 and the drum cover - part 56) a little bit to gain a couple of more inches.

George

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Revel in your decision!

Measure once, cut twice!

Worse case, have a "house raising" party. A few car jacks, some rebar and duct tape, we'll easily get you that extra 5".

Jim

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
You should have listened to Ernie M............

My Xmas present to myself this year was an air hose reel. Oh boy, no more getting tangled in the air hose. Got it, plumbed it to the compressor, mounted it, turned on compressor, unmounted it, disconnected it...... My compressor max 130 psi, air hose reel operating pressure 200 psi. You gotta read all the specs.!!!!

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Hey Bas, thanks for the complement - I am honored to be on the same brain wave as you :widea::icon_thum Did you poke that hole through with all of your :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: mode :gar-La; Like Fred said make sure the air flow is there. It shouldn't be a hard fix for you :cool:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You should have listened to Ernie M............
... My compressor max 130 psi, air hose reel operating pressure 200 psi. You gotta read all the specs.!!!!
Let me see if I understand what you are saying:icon_scra. Your compressor operates at less than the operating pressure of your hose reel. I don't see a problem as reel is rated for more pressure than your compressor produces:dontknow:. Now if it's the other way around, you got problems. But a pressure regulator can cure them:eusa_danc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS