Bandsaw box project play by play - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yesterday while making a little project in the shop, I thought it would be cool to show the main steps in making it. I am in no way an expert or even good at this type or project, especially the one made yesterday. But you could learn from my mistakes. So here it goes........The Birth of a Bandsaw Box.

Of course, I started out with fairly rough stock, cherry in this case. I jointed and plane it to size, and then cross cut the board into it's final dimensions 6"x6". The pieces were laminated to form the block using this orientation ww, like an accordion. That gives a cool book match look to the side and end grain.

Bandsawbox001.jpg

While that was drying I started to set up my POS router table to cut the grooves for the curly maple inlay I had planned. Here is why you practice cuts first on scrap, before your project wood. I thought I had the angle correct, but I had it's opposite. 60 vs. 30 deg.
Bandsawbox002.jpg

So after that screw up (number 3 or 4 for the day so far) I sliced the miscut part off and decided that I was going to go the handheld router route. But I needed a guide jig to I could cut a straight line, and line up my cut. This is the only thing that I did well this day.

Bandsawbox003.jpg

With grooves successfully cut I lnlayed some strips of curly maple. I used side grain up, because I thought that would show the figure best in such a thin piece. Blue tape was all that was need to hold them while drying, they fit very well.

Bandsawbox005.jpg

While the inlays were drying I started shaping a hunk of zebrawood into a pull.I made some cheek cuts with my pull saw and shaped the rest with a chisel.

Bandsawbox006.jpg

I trimmed the ends off the inlay strip and then to the bandsaw. First I cut off the piece that will be the back of the box. I like to use my 3/4" re-saw blade for that. It leaves a good flat surface, which is important for the rest of the steps.

Bandsawbox007.jpg

Then I change over to a 3/16" blade and cut out what will become the drawer.

Bandsawbox008.jpg

Then the front and back of the drawer are cut off, making sure to lable which is which on the bottom with a chalk mark. I use David Marks "cabinet makers triangle".

Bandsawbox009.jpg

Next the section that will become the inside of the drawer, has it's insides removed. I know ya'll are thinking that an awful lot of wood is removed to make one of these. But rest assured all the little off cuts will become something someday, pulls, knob, glue blocks etc.

Bandsawbox010.jpg

Now the drawer is glued back together.

Bandsawbox012.jpg

Then the back is glued, back on.

Bandsawbox013.jpg

Then the outside shape is cut out, resulting in a rough sawn box ready for sanding. One of my major disappointments with this and other boxes I've made is that sometimes I can't follow my layout lines. My bandsaw likes to cut at different rates of speed without warning me. I am sure it has to do with if it's going with the grain or against it. But a little burst of speed coming out of one of the turns while cutting out the drawer, caused me to go wide of my line and forever altered the shape of the box. It was supposed to be a perfect equilateral triangle. Inspiration from the layout of member Doug Joyce's house.
Now comes the least fun part of all this, shaping and sanding. I use a 3/8" roundover bit on all the visible edges, and then sand 80, 120, 150, 220, 400, & 800 grit papers. Here we are all shaped and smoothed.

Bandsawbox020.jpg

Another with the drawer open.

Bandsawbox021.jpg

Once all the sanding is done. It's time to finish. This piece got a liberal dose of Watco Natural Danish Oil. I will probably top coat it with several layers of 2# blonde shellac, with a good rubbing between coats. I have also used wipe on poly (homebrewed), tung oil blend, and paste wax topcoats. Just about anything will work because they shouldn't see much abuse, just heavy petting.

Bandsawbox022_917564.jpg

The shape you make them is up to you imagination. Lois Ventura had a great book on the subject, with much better instructions, and many patterns. If anyone would like to borrow it, I can figure out a way so you could. Thanks, for looking, quiz in the morning:lol: :lol: . Dave:)

Last edited:

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Nice play by play. They are always great reading and occasionally you even learn something from them. Must admit I'd not considered making a bandsaw box, but I might have to try it sometime.

Question though, do you think you could have covered up the penetrating cut from the bandsaw if you had waited to do the inlay until after the interior had been cut out?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone was going to read my thread. At the rate I type it took about an hour to put up. I have seen boxes where people close up the entry cut and other where they don't. I learned how to make them from the book I mentioned by Lois Ventura, and she highlights the entry cut by softening the edges like I have done. This is the first one that I've done with an inlay, and I think that highlights the entry cut too much. But if I had done the inlay after the interior was cut out I wouldn't have the effect of it going out to the edges, or it would have been very difficult to do well. They're fun projects that can usually be completed in a day, unless very complex, less finishing time. If you want to borrow the book, I could drop it off sometime. I got it and several others in a woodworkers book club deal, and once I read something I rarely go back to it, so I wouldn't miss it for awhile. Thanks for looking, Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Great post, Dave! I always appreciate step-by-step posts like this. I tried to make a bandsaw box once - unfortunately it didn't turn out much better than my box joint box. :-(

Maybe if I ever get another band saw, I'll try it again, using your posts for inspiration.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey, there's a 12" Craftsman for sale down below:lol: :lol: Seriously, your box jointed box came out as good as anything I've done, and like you said it's a prototype, you can't expect perfection on your first time. My problem is that I should be getting better after my first time not worse. Dave:)

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
I'm not sure why you haven't had a ton of comments. On Reef Central (the other site I spend time on) these threads are the most popular and can easily generate 75-150+ pages of comments. Now this site is a little smaller ;-) but even so I'm supprised.

As for the inlay I can see why you might want to highlight the cut, just exploring options. My origional though was to put the cuts for the inlay in first, but waiting on the inlay till after cutting the drawer. Might have to try something like it and see what happens.... eventually

sapwood

New User
Roger
DaveO,

Thanks for the blow by blow expo on the bandsaw box.:) I've done a couple in the past and now you've inspired me to try it again. My first one was done on a Sears 12" BS just like the one Insomniac recently sold :lol: As usual, the first ones weren't perfect! :eusa_shhh Now that I have a better bandsaw surely I can improve.

ndsaw_box.jpg

I was initially inspired by Taunton Press and "Box Making" by Doug Stowe. It's an excellent resource on box making in general with lots of photos and details. Of course, you or cloudancer are welcome to borrow it anytime.

Thanks for your contribution DaveO :cool:

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sapwood, you want to check out my book by Lois Ventura, very good resource? I'll drop it by sometime for you. Cloudancer, I hadn't thought of cutting the grooves and doing the inlay after cutting out the box:eusa_doh: . Great idea:eusa_clap :eusa_clap , I'll try that next time. Thanks, Dave:)

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
I'm bound to have a hit once in a while... its the whole infinite monkies with infinite typewriters will eventually write a good book thing.

Question is if it will ever happen again (or if its any good to start with :eusa_doh:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I found this old thread from way back when. I re-loaded the pics and it is now good to go. I hope that someone can learn from it. BS boxes are easy to do once you've figured out the process.

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm glad it could help. They really are simple once you understand the concept...other than the sanding it will always be a PITA.

Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Dave:

Nice job. You did a really terrific job explaining your steps and the pics were well done. Thanks for bringing the how-to forum to life!

Doug

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Thats a great write up Dave. I am going to try one like this this weekend. Thanks for taking the time to do all that.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice job Dave! :thumbs_up

But, the title needs some work, there will be lots of threads here that are "Project play by play". How about "Triangle Bandsaw Box" or something that tells exactly what the project is.

Then it will be easy to find in a couple years when I actually get around to making one. :rotflm:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Dave, nice!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Just a thought- Leave the inlay out of one corner (lower left one in your box) from the drawer cut line to the apex. Cut out the drawer by making the bandsaw cut enter in the middle of the dado at the apex. Then when you insert the inlay it will hide the cut line. You would need to fill the entry cut gap the full depth of the box behind the inlay.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Very nice Dave :icon_thum :notworthy:

Heck I might even be able to pull off something like that if I had a bandsaw!!

Brian.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a band saw. If I had his expertise, I might be able to pull it off too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS