You Know you should stop when -

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Last night I was making a sacrfiifical fence for my tablesaw (ridgid 3650) to use with my dado set to cut rabbets. I used two pieces of 3/4" MDF glued up, drilled a couple of holes to mount the sac. fence to the metal fence. Installed the dado set 3/4" wide. Turned on saw and started to raise the dado blade into the sac fence. Woo-wee, talk about smoke and burning smell. Well says i maybe its just beause its MDF and I am cutting a pretty big chunk, finished up the cut and it took a bit of pressure on the handwheel to finish. Cool says I, after the shop clears of smoke and the misquitos come in thru the open doors (10:00 pm at night), I set the fence and try a test cut 1/4" x 1/2" rabbet. Man is it hard to push thru and again with resulting smoke and burning. Well at this point I know something is wrong ( heck only took me 45 min and shop full of smoke to come up with this), take a good look at the dado stack and notice that I have installed the outside dado plate on backwards.:BangHead: Corrected the problem and all is well.

Moral: Know when to stop and figure out went wrong................:oops:

JW

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have mounted inside chippers backwards.... and was confused as to why I go the little ridge in my dado cuts.... but no smoke. Only took 10-15 minutes to figure my mistake out, having first attributed it to a chipped chipper:eusa_doh:

T

toolferone

Last night while teaching a WW 101 class, I was showing them about the band saw. I was changing the blade and made a test cut. It was very hard to cut and it was burning the wood. I thought the blade was dull. Much to my embarrassment I had put the blade on upside down!! Instead of checking I just put it on, but the last person to use the blade had turned it inside out. It is always fun when the teacher makes the mistake:lol: .

sapwood

New User
Roger
Perhaps we should retitle this "True Confessions" :lol:

I've not been in the shop for almost two weeks. Yesterday I fired up the bandsaw but forgot to tension to blade with the Carter Quick Release. A loose blade doesn't stay on very long :BangHead: Luckily, there was no damage to myself or the blade . . . just lots of spinning and clanging :eusa_pray

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, I haven't spun a TS blade backwards but I have attempted the reverse bandsaw blade approach. I can still remember the smell. :lol: :lol: No harm done except to pride. Unfortunately, LOML was there. She may remind me of that event when I get a little too full of myself! :-D

Chuck

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Well, I haven't spun a tablesaw blade backwards but I have attempted the reverse bandsaw blade approach. I can still remember the smell. :lol: :lol: No harm done except to pride. Unfortunately, LOML was there. She may remind me of that event when I get a little too full of myself! :-D

Chuck

thats an easy fix. just get a left handed band saw8-O or reverse the motor and install a hold down!!!! :rolf:
got one from woodcraft once that was turned around. must have been one of toms! :slap:

fred p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Much to my embarrassment I had put the blade on upside down!! .

That had to be worth the price of the class alone :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: I've never done anything like that...except for overly relying on the strength of a 5 gallon bucket lid :oops: :oops:

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You must have gone by the Lowes store on Capital Blvd, in Raleigh. They have the blade backwards on their display model of the Delta Contractor's saw. I guess it is a safety issue, as blade also has a plastic shield on it also.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Yes - that is the correct spin, because it is a left-tilting blade. That makes everything backward on it ...

You must have gone by the Lowes store on Capital Blvd, in Raleigh. They have the blade backwards on their display model of the Delta Contractor's saw. I guess it is a safety issue, as blade also has a plastic shield on it also.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
That had to be worth the price of the class alone :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: I've never done anything like that...except for overly relying on the strength of a 5 gallon bucket lid :oops: :oops:

Dave, hope you were not standing on a 5 gallon bucket. A few years ago I had a safety report came accross my desk which stated the number one cause of deaths from falling was people standing on a five gallon bucket.

Do you know how quick you can turn off a hand held router? I do and it is not quick enough. It was hot and I had shorts and a T shirt on and was routing something. Next thing I know the router bit has grabed my T shirt, yep not tucked in, and is making a rapid advance toward my tender flesh. I think I invented a new dance trying to find the off switch and keep the router bit from reaching me. Peeled a layer of skin off before I found the off switch. I think if I had not had a straight bit in the router it would have done a lot more damage. When they made a movie called Dumb and Dumber I thought it was about me.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, hope you were not standing on a 5 gallon bucket. A few years ago I had a safety report came accross my desk which stated the number one cause of deaths from falling was people standing on a five gallon bucket.

Well, I've found standing on a five gallon paint bucket to be the number one cause of getting covered in peach paint....:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors