Working with TEAK

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
I have started a small project using teak. In addition to finding that it is expensive, I am also finding it seems to have a high oil content. At least it feels like oil. The piece appears perfectly dry until I hit it with sand paper. Almost immediately the dust turns to something almost the consistency of paste. Think about sanding drywall joints just before the mud fully cures.

Is this oil? Moisture? The source was Woodcraft so I made the (possibly wrong) assumption that the wood had been dried. If it is oil, will poly finish seal it in? LOML will probably be hostile if it continues to weep.:gar-Cr

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Teak is naturally oily, I think. So what you are seeing is "dry" wood, but it's never really "dry".

As for finish ... I would not finish it with Poly. Heck, I used to only use Poly but now avoid it to any measure. The teak probably doesn't need much of a finish to be protected from the elements.

What are you building with it? Will it be outside?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
You should get some more replies here ... I'm not a Teak expert by any measure, so my comments are an educated guess.

You may be able to just use "Teak Oil" to finish it. What I do know about that is that is helps maintain the color of the wood (teak changes over time). Teak oil does not prolong the life of teak , it simply maintains the golden brown color.

I found this online "Teak is a dense, coarse, close-grained hardwood. It contains high levels of resinous oils that allow it to be naturally resistant to moisture, repellent to insects, and impervious to the drying effects of weather. Teak also contains silica, a sand-like component which creates a density to the wood that allows it to also be resistant to fungal decay, water, rotting, warping, shrinking, swelling and many damaging chemicals. It will not rust or corrode metals it comes in contact with and it can withstand the elements of all seasons, with its beauty increasing with its age. No other wood compares to teak regarding its durability, elegance, stability and low maintenance; making it the ultimate material choice for furniture construction and ship building worldwide."

One question I would have about Teak is ... what type of glue to use. Being so oily, the standard yellow glue might not hold over time.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The only time that I worked with teak was while working on a bostom whaler, and we finished the pieces with Marine Spar Varnish. I have been told that you can chemically remove the oils, for a finish, but I think it changes the color of the teak.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

T

toolferone

I seem to remember for gluing that you wipe it with acetone right before you glue it and you are good. I wonder if the same applies for putting on a finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS