Woodworking magazine coming July 27!

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
They publish 4 a year, i believe. This is thier first time offering PDF or print.

Jim

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
It's been a rough road for this magazine. I have two issues and I LOVE it. It's editied by Christopher Schwarz. As of now, the magazine offers no subscription service. But I HIGHLY recommend it. The two issues I have are Spring 2006 and Autumn 2006.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Here is an extract from the announcement:

Good news: The next issue of Woodworking Magazine goes on sale on July 24. The new issue will be bigger than the last seven issues – 48 pages instead of 36 – and will be available in both printed and digital versions through our web site.

However, this new Autumn 2007 issue will not be available at newsstands. The only place you'll be able to purchase the issue is through our secure server on our web site. We've decided to forego newsstand distribution for the new issue for a variety of reasons, including the recent poor newsstand sales of all magazines and the general wastefulness of the process (all the unsold copies are thrown in the dumpster).

Here are the details on pricing and availability: Starting on July 24, you will have two options for buying the new issue. For $6, you will be able to instantly download an enhanced pdf version of the magazine. This enhanced pdf will be much like the pdfs on our CDs, which have links embedded in the stories that take you to expanded content on our blog, web site or on other outside sites. The digital version will feature a full-color cover and the same rich sepia-toned photos inside.

For $8, you will be able to purchase a printed copy of the issue and it will be mailed to your house directly from our warehouse in Wisconsin. The printed version will be on heavy #70-pound paper stock and will be true black and white throughout.

I know that many of you are wondering if we will be offering subscriptions to Woodworking Magazine in the near future. The honest answer is that we don't know yet. Our circulation and accounting analysts are still preparing a report. Theirs is a difficult task because our company has never published a magazine like this one, and the playing field is a crowded one. I can say that our executives will be paying close attention to how this new issue sells. So your continued support of the magazine is appreciated and might even sway their decision.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Mike,
I've seen it at Lowe's and the usual bookstores. I have the first 6-7 issues on cd if you want to take a look. They use a format similar to Cooks Illustrated. Heavy paper, simple, beautiful illustrations, great articles and heavy on traditional applications. They've yet to put out an issue I did not read every word.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike,
I've seen it at Lowe's and the usual bookstores. I have the first 6-7 issues on cd if you want to take a look. They use a format similar to Cooks Illustrated. Heavy paper, simple, beautiful illustrations, great articles and heavy on traditional applications. They've yet to put out an issue I did not read every word.

That would be awesome. Are they in PDF format? If so, are they small enough to email.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I purchased the first 7 issues on a CD-ROM for about $22 (I think). They are all in PDF format and are easy to work with.

I do like the magazine. A bit verbose, but that's good when the content is interesting. It's educational & informative.

Personally, I like the idea of the PDF. While I'm not sure how they will protect their margins -- being that once it's downloaded it's more/less (ethics aside) free to share. But then again, I think that probably results to more sales in the future (hopefully) as people will like it and buy a future one.

Anyway ... cool.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I purchased the first 7 issues on a CD-ROM for about $22 (I think). They are all in PDF format and are easy to work with.

I do like the magazine. A bit verbose, but that's good when the content is interesting. It's educational & informative.

Personally, I like the idea of the PDF. While I'm not sure how they will protect their margins -- being that once it's downloaded it's more/less (ethics aside) free to share. But then again, I think that probably results to more sales in the future (hopefully) as people will like it and buy a future one.

Anyway ... cool.

I would definitely be inclined to buy it once I've had a chance to read an issue. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors