Wood,Wood Shorts...Storage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I have the entire back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee full of shorts (2' to 7') that I purchased from a friend today! Walnut, mahogany, curly maple, padauck, etc. A lot of my wood piddling is small projects. He is moving out of state in June and was cleaning out some shorts, so tomorrow I gotta find somewhere to store all of it! I need a better way to store these shorts, any suggestions? Don't really store well in a rack system, maybe some sort of divided box. I would like maybe to be able to store by species or at least by lengths.
Does anyone else stash lumber back? I must have 700-800 bdft of different species here at the house! When I feel like I am getting a GREAT price on good lumber, like my tool buying obsession, I feel like I gotta grab it! Saw some beautiful wide, flaked oak today, 8/4 and 12-14" wide and probably 8' in length. Moisture content would be around 20% I would guess. About 140 bdft. Very nicely stickered and no checking that I could see. "Air dried". Offered at what I thought was a very good price! Don't even have a project in mind for it, but for the price, should I put it in my stash? And what would be a GREAT price anyway since I don't really have an idea?

cskipper

Cathy
I have no idea what a good price would be for the wood, but I can relate to the wood stash obsession. LOML built me a divided storage unit for smaller pieces. They would not accommodate anything over 2-3'. The other pieces wind up on his wood racks. At some point we will remodel my part of the shop and then I can have more wood storage (probably not a good thing :laugh:).

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Redhawk
read this carefully -
I see two reasonable options.
A. If its still in the back of your buggy - hit 40 til you get to 26, get off at the airport exit and call me as you'll be less than 10 minutes from me. I'll meet you at the shop.
B. if you've unloaded the buggy - box it all up properly, call UPS/FedEx etc and let me know and I'll send the directions.

Okie- assuming you're still reading and didn't care for option A or B :(
I like to opt for shelves and sorting by species.
In Asheville there is a place called RJam and they sell stuff like desks, chairs, and fixtures that were taken out of closing stores etc. The heavy duty shelves I got for $20 a set are much nicer and heavier than the similar ones I got new at the blue box for over $60.
A little plywood and imagination for dividers and I had great wood storage.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
CaptnA, I think I'll pass on Options A & B. Sorry!

"A. If its still in the back of your buggy - hit 40 til you get to 26, get off at the airport exit and call me as you'll be less than 10 minutes from me. I'll meet you at the shop.
B. if you've unloaded the buggy - box it all up properly, call UPS/FedEx etc and let me know and I'll send the directions."

But thanks a lot on the tip about the store in Asheville! Shelving sounds like the obvious solution. I think I have 7 extra sets of the triton racks that I bought while on sale a few months ago! Till, I find the right shelves, I think I'll try a set of the Triton racks mounted 32" apart to hit the studs. Use longer and wider board to start each section and see if the other pieces can fit in like a puzzle!

I'll see what I can come up with today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors