Wood Filler Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIRD

New User
Liz
I have a walnut cabinet that I removed the doors and hinges. I now want to cover the holes the screws left behind. I've seen different products that you can buy to fill holes, but this is (I hope) a one time fill job. Does any one know of a shop trick to filling up holes and blending it to look good??

BIRD

New User
Liz
Unfortunately the repair job will be visable. The holes are small, less then 1/8" diameter. But it's 6 small holes on each side, 3 for the top hinge, 3 for bottom.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You could try a commercially available filler like Famowood, in a walnut color. Yellow glue, walnut dust and a similar colored stain (if the cabinets are finished other than natural). Or any old wood filler left a little shallow and the a wax burn in stick applied over the top to get the color just right. Last thought might be to make the hole larger and plug it, then finish the plug to match. My .02, Dave:)

Mountaincraft

New User
William
If you use the sawdust, glue, stain method listed above, stain your wood before mixing with glue.

I think plugs are uglier than wood filler for small holes. If in doubt about the color, let the filler be slightly darker. Famowood dries pretty hard, Elmers is somewhat more crumbly, but with no smell and faster drying times. Both will make slight color changes when stained (after drying). Obviously, be careful with the stain on an antique.

BIRD

New User
Liz
Ok so if I use the glue method do i fill the holes and then add walnut dust to cover over the hole, or do I make a mix? The walnut is pretty dark so I think even though the repair work will be visable I'm hoping it wont be an eye catcher.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mix the dust with the glue, make it like a putty. An longer open time glue like Titebond Extend might help the mixing process.
Dave:)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
How about something completely different:
Take a piece of walnut about the size of a pencil; sharpen the end of it in a pencil sharpener; stick the sharpened end in the hole with a drop of glue.

When dry, cut it off with a knife and sand it smooth. Use a Qtip and apply a matching stain and finish. Good enough for David Marks! (saw this on his show about fixing problems with wood)
Good luck!

Mark

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Couple of thoughts, the sawdust & glue technique with Mountaincrafts "twists" may be the best first try. The pencil option with leave endgrain exposed adn really show up. If none of these provide satidfactory results, might consider veneering the entire edge. Pretty simple to do and would hide all the sin.
My Best
Randy O

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mark, that is a very good idea. I have a few mis-aligned holes in a project I am working on and was going to hunt for maple dowels to fill them. But with your idea, I could take a small square section and taper the end enough to fit the hole, and not need the dowel. Thanks, and it will probably help with BIRD's problem also. Dave:)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Randy/Bird,
Good point re: endgrain.

Plan B:
Use a plug cutter (I use the Veritas/Lee Valley set) on matching face grain. This will give you a short plug which will need sanding to a point instead of using a pencil sharpener. Allign the plug grain with the repair face, glue, etc.

Another idea is to use one of the wax filler crayons matched to the color, especially if the finish is dark.

Look forward to meeting on Saturday in Hillsborough!
Mark

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Tarhead said:
Look forward to meeting on Saturday in Hillsborough!
Mark

Great Mark, glad you're coming and I look forward to meeting you too. I hope it's a good meeting with a good turnout and lots of people set-up with lots of tools for sale. Haven't (fully) decided if I'm going to set-up or not, it's a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS