WIP: Wenge and Lacewood Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I was commanded....er commisioned by SWMBO to build a pair of small tables for the beach house and this is the start of the first one. It's my first experience with wenge. If you guys want to see if your tools really are sharp, get a hunk of this stuff and start gnawing on it. Man it's tough stuff. It's just stuck together for the first inspection by the boss. One leg is shaped and the top is roughed in. The piece in the middlethat holds the legs together still has to be shaped to blend in. More to follow.

Attachments

• 100_0492.jpg
    100_0492.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_0491.jpg
    100_0491.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 201

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Larry,

The table is coming together VERY nicely... both design and wood type. I do love that lacewood. What kind of a finish will you put on this one? Are the legs cut from solid stock or did you bend them?

Ray

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Larry,

The table is coming together VERY nicely... both design and wood type. I do love that lacewood. What kind of a finish will you put on this one? Are the legs cut from solid stock or did you bend them?

Ray
Ray, I'll proably just use poly for the finish. Neither wood needs any stain. The legs are cut from 1" stock and shaped with spoke shaves and rasps. I don't think anyone could bend this stuff.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Larry,

I've never worked with Wenge, but I have heard that it's hard as iron. I can't wait to see the final photos. That top is going to look terrific.

Ray

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Lookin' Good Larry :eusa_danc

I have some Wenge veneer and all I have to do is look at it and I get 2 or 3 splinters! Is the solid wood the same?

pete

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Just in case you might not know. An allergic reaction to lacewood is not uncommon. The first two pieces I used lacewood on it did not bother me at all. The third one almost put me in the hospital. Started to feel really bad and headed to the doctors office pronto. Lucky I did. By the time I got there I could hardly breathe. i had called the doctors office and let them know I was coming and what was going on. Glad I did because I collapsed as I walked in the door. They gave me a shot before they carried me out of the waiting room.

The first two pieces were made when the weather was good and the windows and doors were open. The last piece was made in the winter and everything was closed up tight. The last piece was also much larger and required more sanding. I would suggest a lot of ventilation when sanding lacewood.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Beautiful Larry :icon_thum
I don't think you need to add inlay to the top of this piece :lol:

Roger

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Lookin' Good Larry :eusa_danc

I have some Wenge veneer and all I have to do is look at it and I get 2 or 3 splinters! Is the solid wood the same?

pete
Pete, the solid wood is full of tiny splinters too. My hands are full of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors