WIP - May's project UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have decided to replace the built in vanity in my downstairs bathroom with a piece of furniture-like vanity with sink. I got a good start the last two days with lots of shop time. The case is made from solid cherry with 1/2" cherry plywood side panels. The top will be 1" thick black granite with a sink built in. Carcus is 47 x 21 x 35" tall. All the joinery is done with a Festool Domino (64 mortises) and it has made a beliver out of me. In this case, you really do get what you pay for. The glue-up was a real handful for one person and it's a good thing no one else was around to hear some of the not so nice utterings in my shop. Once you put some glue into the mortise and drive a domino home, you do not want to have to get it back out.
cherry_vanity-sink_002.jpg

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Re: WIP - May's project

Great start.

Sure am glad my wife does not look at this site. I am making two simialr vanities, but with vessels sitting on top. My wife would want to know why mine will take me a month:BangHead:.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Wow, that's going to be a nice piece. I can't wait to see your progress on it.
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

That's a beautiful piece of furniture, definitely more than a "vanity". The detail on the aprons and tapered stiles really make it feel "light".

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

Mighty fine!
Here's a new vocabulary word for today:

Redomino
verb; Procedure to repair misplaced mortises when it has to be perfect. Involves allowing the glue to dry, flush cutting the ill fitting Domino tenon, and re-mortising in the correct position. Usually is hidden from view in the final piece.
Don't ask me how many "redomino" procedures I've had to do.
:rotflm:
I try to do them so one of each of the opposing mortises is cut on the second or third width setting. It allows the use of a persuader to get the lateral fit right.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Nah, Dino, it will never fit. :mrgreen: I will do you a favor & haul it away. :slap:

sapwood

New User
Roger

Domino Dyno Dino :D

And I really like that style. Is it an original design?

Waiting for more,
Roger

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown

That is a fine piece of furniture/vanity. Do you have a crew of shop elves to sweep the floor and dust the equipment? That is one very clean shop.

skeeter

New User
Charles

Looks like you're off to a great start. Please keep us posted on your progress.

toolman

New User
Chad

Great start to your cabinet :icon_thum will be waiting for some photo when completed. :eek:ccasion1

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Well the carcus is complete. I have decided to use soft close drawer slides on this project since it is a vanity and not really a piece of furniture. I have never used slides before so I will get these first before starting on the drawer boxes. I am not sure about the door panels and the drawer faces yet. I am thinking about contrasting wood for those - leaning towards lace wood. Opinions please?

The design is mine. That is one of the problems - no plans. I should have sat down and produced a set of working drawings, but NO. I'll just suffer through it as I go. As for the comments of my clean shop; I have gotten into the habit of putting things in their place and sweeping the floor after each work session. If I don't do it this way it gets overwhelming quickly. I cannot seem to get in this habit when it comes to the bench tops.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks like a mix of a piece I saw David Marks build and David Fenton's night stands. I definitely like the look.

I like maple with Cherry (since it is the only thing I have mixed with cherry). Lacewood would be interesting as well, although I have never had any.

How are you putting the bottom in the carcass?

Steve W

New User
Steve
I've always liked the Mission style and that's what it looks like to me. Great-looking cabinet, Dino!

:kermit: Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS