Wip large turning Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I aint been being slack mr. Walker (know where that come from), but things have been a bit slow.
So I will go ahead and post a WIP its a large turning not huge but large.

Got the base started.
wip1.jpg

Cutting segments for one of the rings
wip3.jpg

enough segments for 1 ring
wip4.jpg

sanding the segments

wip5.jpg

segments glued and the clampon just enough to hold them

wip6.jpg

got the top clamped now so I can tighten the band clamp
wip7.jpg

now to let it dry for 15 to 20 mins.

wip8.jpg

all the rings except the 6 ebony ones glued up for the bottom half, havent even started on the top half yet.
the white rings, and the multi colored ring on top will all be parted into 2 rings.

wip9.jpg

going to use some of the Macassar ebony (I actually got some ripped up just no picture, but you can see some of the pieces of it in the multi colored ring) for the thin black rings, 6 black rings

wip2.jpg

Jeez hope I didnt bore Ya'll

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Re: Wip large turning

Another great one!
BTW, did you ever do a post about how you get the design pieces (diamonds, thunderbirds, etc) onto your segments?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

BTW, did you ever do a post about how you get the design pieces (diamonds, thunderbirds, etc) onto your segments?

I'd love to see this also. And thanks for showing how you go about making the rings. I like your jig ideas for cutting, sanding, and gluing the parts. :icon_thum

Bill

bluedawg76

New User
Sam

very cool to see the process!
Naive question: How do you figure the miter angle when cutting the segments? something like a circle of x circumference and y radius and figure you want z inch segments [insert trigonometric function] gives you the angle?

Sam

Glennbear

Glenn

Not boring at all !!! truly amazing and your ability and love of our craft is further evidenced in the segmented and turned handles on your jigs. :wwink: From what I can see you shop is definitely not a plastic friendly place. :gar-La;

dlrion

New User
Dan

Wow Earl, I definately have 3 or 4 more completed rings on my bowl, before I ran out of time.

Then family came into town,

then my daughter got sick,

And you are on like your 14th bowl since then.

Do you sleep???

erasmussen

New User
RAS

very cool to see the process!
Naive question: How do you figure the miter angle when cutting the segments? something like a circle of x circumference and y radius and figure you want z inch segments [insert trigonometric function] gives you the angle?

Sam

I just use a chart, I made some charts of the ones I use, but there is a lot of them on the net
Here is one setof them http://www.denswoodturning.co.uk/segmentcalculator.php

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

NICE!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum Betwixt you and charlie there aint gonna be a scrap piece of wood left in N.C.!!!!:rotflm: Thanks or the tutorial.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

Amazes me every time.
Earl how long start to finish, roughly, including drying times for one this size?

erasmussen

New User
RAS

Amazes me every time.
Earl how long start to finish, roughly, including drying times for one this size?

Hard to say I been at this a week, but of course didnt get to work in the shop everyday, I would guess 2 weeks.

Drying time???? I use TBII so I use the 15-15 rule and believe me it does work 15 seconds clamp time , 15 minutes dry time then I turn.

I think all segmenters do this.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

WOW Earl,

That is AWESOME, That looks like it is MAXED out on your Lathe, It's 20" over the bed right?

Nice work, Can't wait to see it when it is done~!

sushinutnc

New User
Mike

Beautiful as always! I have several projects in my to-do list right now, but every time I see one of your projects, it makes me want to try a segmented bowl. ONE day, I'll try it. LOVE the look and design opportunities. Keep up the inspirational photos!:thumbs_up

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Its getting bigger I am up to the thunder bird ring, got to repeate the pattern thats below the thunder bird ring above it now, then maybe I can start on the top half.

wip_10.jpg

wip_11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS