Winter winding down (long)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Well spring is upon us and for me it means woodworking will slow to a crawl as I start to spend my freetime searching for whitewater. I thought I'd post some pixs of some of the things I did in the last couple of months in between asking a million questions here. I've now been officially a WWer for just over a year as I started last January. What an amazing journey it has been so far as I fall deeper and deeper in love with this amazing addiction. Sometimes I wonder if I would get sick of it a bit if I had more than one shop day a week to play. Nah, I doubt it. So without further ado...

Started the 'season' off by attempting to build a dining table for the family. Here is my result...

Diningtable4.jpg

Diningtable5.jpg

This was made out of maple, sapele and quartersawn sycamore. It was a challenge because I needed to try and match the color of the chairs I bought at Cost Plus. It was my first experimentation with TransTint dyes. I love the medium but there were a few bumps in the road which show in the final result. Overall I'm happy with how it turned out and learned alot. Many thanks to Dave Tomasch for letting me use his 'aircraft carrier' to joint the boards for the tabletop. I initially tried to use my benchtop jointer to no avail. I now have a stationary jointer and can't imagine how I survived so long without one.

I also made a movable TV stand for my office.

TVStand1.jpg

What i learned from this project is that I am far too conservative when it comes to making doors. I'm always so paranoid about seasonal movement that I make my doors too small. This is exacerbated because I mount lights. Actually it didn't seem so bad until I turned the lights on. Oh well, live and learn.

Next, I tried my hand at making a box.

box1.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Surprisingly i found this quite gratifying. I guess it's my instant gratification personality. I liked that I could kick out an entire project in like a day and a half. It's sapele, QS sycamore and maple. I know, surprise huh. I also like that it's CHEAP! Making things from shop scraps is pretty cool! I also refined my dying techniques on this project and feel much more comfortable doing so now.

I also was 'commisioned' to do a few projects from my friends.

IMGP1039.jpg

This was a tv stand for my buddy. Oak and sapele if I remember correctly. This was a weird project because he was very specific as to what he wanted. It was odd making something that was not my aesthetic. I didn't like his design but I did what he wanted of course. I actually liked the final result a bit but I would have changed quite a bit had it been my project. Made me understand what it must be like to do this for a living. Not sure if I'd like it actually.

The next two were for a friend who gave me more creative freedom. He just gave me dimensions and said go for it. This I enjoyed.

IMG_0177.jpg

This was a coffee table which I had some dye issues with which I corrected when i did the jewelry box above. If I had done the box first, this table would have come out much better. Oh well, he loves it.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

This is the matching side table that is WIP. I like this much better and hope to use my new dying knowledge to do a better job on the finish.

Lastly, I kicked out a few things this weekend for my new deck.

Deck1.jpg

I built this chaise and Adirondack and though nothing fancy I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Adirondack got me intimate with my bandsaw and made me add it to the list of upgrades. What a great machine a bandsaw is. I'm hooked!

That's all for now, thanks for looking and thanks for all your help!

Peter:wsmile:

cskipper

Cathy
You've been busy! Great looking projects too. It's nice to see/hear your skill progression through the various projects. Thanks for sharing.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
WOW! A lot of awesome projects ...and your 1st year! Excellent job!

YOU ROCK! (instead of the typical YOU SUCK, maybe we can convert to something with a positive spin -- think it'll catch on?)

ebarr

New User
Wayne
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That is a very impressive turnout for a first year WWer. I only have a few calls, a bowl, a few rings, a goblet and a few dozen pens and half completed doll house for my daughter to show for my efforts over the winter.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Peter, you did an awesome job with all of those projects. Where's the metal man? This wood thing has taken over huh? Congrats on the progress. :eusa_clap

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
A very fine bunch of impressive projects, I must say!:icon_thum:icon_thum

It would have taken me months to complete but one!!!:BangHead::BangHead: I am especially impressed with the color match of the table and chairs!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

(I just spent two days tryin' to match a couple of spindles I replaced on a kitchen chair - and ended up with a complete and utter mess!!! Time to break out the sandpaper and start over ........again!!)

I really like the design of your entertainment center!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Be careful out there in the whitewater and don't let your tools/shop get too dusty over the next few months!

Thanks for sharing all of the details with us.

Wayne

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: back lit doors - one possibility?

An impressive list of projects for a year; I wish I could do half of that, and half as well.

An idea on the TV stand with backlit doors: Could you trim some 'door stop' type material inside the door to block the edge lighting? I don't know what the exact design is, but I would think that could work.

Henry

DavidF

New User
David
Re: back lit doors - one possibility?

A really great set of projects for the first year - enjoy the Summer!

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Peter,

You've been a busy boy this winter...great looking projects.

Also kudos for paying forward with your gifts of power tools. This shows a great spirit here.

Dan C.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Peter,

What a phenomenal job! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Those are some great looking pieces and I really like your taste in furinture design. Excellent work! :icon_thum

Trent :icon_bigg

sapwood

New User
Roger
Peter,
You've earned a summer on the whitewater :icon_thum
Great projects and amazing progress!

Roger

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Peter has been busy, busy, busy. Nice looking projects and so many! I guess you can take the summer off...:cool:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Peter, I hope your as talented at whitewater kayaking/rafting/canoing as you are at woodworking. Otherwise you might want to focus your energies on what you excel at.
Beautiful work, all of it :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, that's a lot of projects for a single year. I mean, a LOT of projects. Very, very nice looking work too, especially the coffee table. Good thing you're going whitewater rafting, or there wouldn't be any wood left :)

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. YOU all are truly an inspiration to a noob. The people on this site are truly an amazing group. I can't remember the last time I posted over at Wood Net or Sawmill. Not that they aren't great guys there as well, it's just that this community really seems like a family. The only thing that stinks is that my schedule at the time doesn't allow me to spend more time getting to know more of you personally. Hopefully soon when the little guy gets a little older or if I can convince my [STRIKE]babysitter[/STRIKE] mother in law to move here. LOL. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors