Wine Cellar Project - WIP w/ Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I'm just getting started on a commission project to build a Wine Cellar storage unit for some friends and thought I'd share some preliminary stuff. It is another collaboration with Steve DeWeese.

Plan Elevation

The lower diamond and pullout bins are 19" deep and the upper shelves and vertical bottle bins are 14" deep -- center area is open to back wall for a future decorative tile back splash. Materials are White Oak plywood and White Oak banding and bin cleats; counter top and table are ribbon African Mahogany.

Here's a few more pics of the materials in the purchase to milling stages:

WO Ply & 65 BF of WO Afr. Mahogany (Rough/Milled)

Milled White Oak Afr. Mahogany Center Back and Table Glue up

The African Mahogany was found at Bee Tree Hardwoods in Swannanoa as 14 foot by 8-1/2" wide 5/4 rough stock at $4.75/BF and the W.O. plywood and White Oak came from Catawba Hardwoods in Hickory.

More to come.... Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm just getting started on a commission project to build a Wine Cellar storage unit for some friends and thought I'd share some preliminary stuff.

More to come.... Rob

I can't wait to see what y'all work out.
Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Rob,

This sounds like an awesome project. Looks like a lot of very careful measurements to maintain the symmetry over a whole wall. I seem to remember Norm doing a wine cellar a few years ago... it was quite an undertaking. I'm really looking forward to some work-in-progress photos.

Is this your own design or did your client use a designer?

Ray

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks like a great project. I have someone that expressed interest in a smaller version. Please post lots of pics! If you are willing to impart some advise, I may contact you when and if I get the project.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Looking forward to more WIP pictures keep us informed on this awesome project. :icon_thum Nick

M

McRabbet

My design -- I did some Internet research beforehand to see some commercial examples and visited a few stores as well. It is going to be a challenge to keep everything square and within dimensions, but if you look at the elevation view, you can see it is fairly modular (2 diamond bins and double-bay pullout bin; two shelf units and the central vertical bottle storage. Each vertical section has a horizontal partition that extends out for a bottle to sit on so the owner can see the contents of that section if desired.

M

McRabbet

Re: Wine Cellar Project - ** UPDATE ** WIP w/ Pics

It's hard to believe that more than 2 weeks have rushed by, but I lost 8-9 days of shop time to get the house ready for our entire family (our 5 kids, their wives or significant others; 4 grandchildren and one great grandchild) to visit over the Labor Day weekend. Great visit.

Since my 1st post, Steve DeWeese and I have gotten all of the plywood cut and he's proceeding with the three lower cabinet units (two diamond bins and a four pullout drawer storage bin). I'm working on the upper rack and shelves. Here's the elevation view again (Click on Thumbnail for Pic):
The vertical racks have lots of White Oak components -- 176 horizontal cleats are screwed to paired 2" wide vertical partitions or main side plywood partitions. Lots of milling and drilling and roundovers and sanding and screwing it all together. Here are some shop pics:

Cutting Partitions with Dadoes

Drill press setup 175 to go!

1/8" Roundovers All done - ready to sand!

This afternoon and evening was plywood dado cutting -- I'll get into sanding and assembling some basic sections prior to spray finishing them.

More to come... Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that is a lot of partitions. Are those upper sections to hold wine bottles also?

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

The upper sections (two tall and one short) will hold about 120 bottles. The shelf units at left and right will be for book and liqueur storage. The lower diamond bins and four pullout bins will hold another 20 cases. Most storage is for bottles laying horizontally, held up by the cleats. The 8 silhouettes of bottles on the upper rack are protruding shelves that will hold a bottle upright so the owner can see an example of the bin contents. They protrude 4" in front of the bins and have a 3-1/4" depression to hold the bottle base. The center area will have Xenon LV lamps shining through the glass rack down onto the African Mahogany counter top.

Rob

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Wine Cellar Project - ** UPDATE ** WIP w/ Pics

Excellent! Keep us posted on your progress!

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks for taking the time to treat us with some WIP pics! Based on your other endeavours, I have no doubt that this will be breathtaking! :eusa_clap

M

McRabbet

Re: Wine Cellar Project - More WIP w/ New Pics

I've been very busy this past weekend continuing the preparation of all of the White Oak components for the Vertical Wine Rack. Late last week, I finished drilling and rounding corners on the 176 bottle cleats and wood partitions. Next came the sanding:

cleats on belt sander gang sanding 12 long partitions;

and preparing the intermediate bottle shelves:
Pattern piece and pattern bit and finished with 1/8" roundover;

and assembling the partition sections:
two screws per cleat long partition "Mock up"

moving onto the plywood subassemblies -- first the shelf units:
Shelves and sides in glue-up Close-up of edge banding

And finally the side sections of the vertical racks:
Cleats attached with screws

Tomorrow: Finishing starts on the subassemblies and then the rack goes together!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS