Will this work

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Our oldest daughter asked me if I could take a drawing of our grandson's hand and make a cookie cutter - she wants to do some cookies that looks like Turkeys - sort of like you did as a child with your hand at school where you would draw your hand and color in the feathers - All I had in the 3/4 was this piece of Pine and I put 1/4 Poplar on the back for support - 5-6 coats of rattle can Shellac - Good idea or bad on the wood selection??
Cookie_cutter.jpg

View image in gallery

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Nice job.

I'd be a bit worried though, there is egg in cookie dough. Without being able to wash it with anti-bacterial soap, it could be a bit on the risky side.

If its a use once kind of thing, I'd not think twice bout using it.

But if you are going to store it and use it often, then I'd be worried bout Sam-and-ella.

Jim

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Looks great Phillip! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That's a very special request, I'm sure they'll love it. :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job.

I'd be a bit worried though, there is egg in cookie dough. Without being able to wash it with anti-bacterial soap, it could be a bit on the risky side.

If its a use once kind of thing, I'd not think twice bout using it.

But if you are going to store it and use it often, then I'd be worried bout Sam-and-ella.

Jim

This one will be a one time thing - if it works I will get something to make one out of where she can use it again -

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
This one will be a one time thing - if it works I will get something to make one out of where she can use it again -

ur gonna bake them cookies in a 350* oven right?:dontknow: I doubt any germs are gonna survive it.:gar-Bi

mikeacg

New User
Mike
The design looks great. I use food-safe woods for my cookie and candy molds - beech, cherry, maple, etc. and treat them with non-toxic mineral oil. That makes them easier to clean.
Another option for cookie cutters is an old trick my Daddy taught me years ago. He would take an old coffee can and cut off the lip about 3/4" wide, bend to shape and solder the ends. The rolled lip gives it structure. Then just solder a folded piece of metal across the top to hold the shape and give you a handle. These work great, making a clean cut in cookie dough and they are easy to clean.

ehpoole

Ethan
Then just solder a folded piece of metal across the top to hold the shape and give you a handle.

Just be sure to use a lead-free (e.g. plumbing) solder. Most other solder (e.g. electronics and older plumbing solder) is up to 60% lead. I mention this only because it is not necessarily obvious to those who don't routinely solder.

You'll also want to use either a solder gun (100+ watts) or a micro torch to heat the joint. Smaller soldering irons (unless high-wattage stained glass irons) will have difficulty heating such a large surface area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors