Whistle, idea from Stokes Stomp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking forward to some good pictures (nudge, nudge Barry and others) of the development of the new NCWW project!!

(this is a REALLY good idea!)

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I prepped 23-24 blanks yesterday, in case we have some time to try it out this weekend.

attachment.php

These were ripped to 1"x1", then cut to 5.5". Moved over to the bandsaw and set some stop blocks for each of the straight and angled cuts. Spent less than an hour, and that did include turning a sample (i think it is cedar, made my shop smell pretty good!).

Attachments

• 20181004_125925.jpg
    20181004_125925.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 171

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
We did attempt a couple of whistles at Kingfest today, with limited success. The smaller jaws on the chuck that Dirk provided worked great, and the live cone center worked as expected.

We did not have any 3/8" dowel material on the trailer, and I did not think to grab some from my house before heading over this morning. We did attempt to turn material to fit, but that was not good either. We did find some 1/4" dowels in the trailer, and that worked well with the blanks I had prepared. We had to sand down the flat for the insert, as there was not a hand-plane in the trailer. The sander was too much and could not control well the amount to take off.

Berta has dowels on her shopping list, and Dirk gave her the model of chuck/jaws that he brought today.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Neal, I'll bring a couple planes that we can use in Hickory and I have some Cedar we can use as thipples.

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
You guys inspired me to try making a couple whistles with my little grandson watching for some of the work. I made a prototype whistle as a proof of concept to get dimensions right and to be sure it actually works before attempting to do one with him. He isn't really old enough to do any of the work, but he loves the tools and loves to watch. He gets a kick out of seeing finished projects showing up when he knows that he was there for some of the work on them.

At 20 months old he is already pretty interested in the shop, the projects, and the tools. He goes to the shop door and says "tools tools" once or twice a day and expects me to take him around the shop and show him what i am working on. He notices changes in the work and the tools and points them out, expecting me to explain what is going on. He asks to hold some of the tools and wants to see some of them run. I made him his own little mallet and some other stuff.
attachment.php

Attachments

• whistle.jpg
    whistle.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 133

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I bought two sets of jaws for the lathes yesterday. We can now turn whistles, key fobs and lightsabers at the same time! Three lathes for outreach and three different projects!

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Berta, which jaws did you wind up ordering?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
[h=1]Nova® 20mm Mini Jaws[/h][h=1]Nova® 25mm Pin Jaw Set[/h]I was at Klingspor’s Sunday for scroll Saw club so I bought them then.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Do we need to have a prep day at my shop on Sunday, 10/14 to prepare whistle blanks. We have the better part of the last box of cut-offs from Coleman to use for blanks. Am I correct that the blanks are approximately 1 x 1 x 5.5"?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
1x1 will work great in the new jaws that Berta picked up, and the length is subject to how deep the hole is drilled. if you go 3" into the wood, anything over 3.5" will work as a whistle, plus the waste that will be left in the chucks.

attachment.php

I took some of the shorter blanks in the trailer that had not been prepared for anything else and cut them down Sunday night.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

After cutting out the 1x1, i had material left so i have 7/8x7/8 and 3/4x3/4, which can be used for the key fob blanks. I have not cut any of the longer stock to length at this point, wanting a consensus on the depth

Attachments

• DSCN1953.jpg
    DSCN1953.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN1940.jpg
    DSCN1940.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN1946.jpg
    DSCN1946.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN1945.jpg
    DSCN1945.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN1943.jpg
    DSCN1943.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN1942.jpg
    DSCN1942.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 128

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've also setup a sled for my small (only) bandsaw, with an angled block attached as well to cut out the section. i setup a multi-purpose block to set the depth stop of the sled, and the position of the blank for the angled cut. For the straight cut, I set a different block for the distance from the end, and set a stop on the saw table for the depth of cut.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN1946.jpg
    DSCN1946.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS