Whistle, idea from Stokes Stomp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
While working the Outreach trailer at the recent Stokes Stomp event, Richard pulled a turned whistle from his magic bag of tools. We worked on it during a couple of slow times and walked away with a couple of working models.

Today, I took a blank that was about 1" across, and 4-5" long. I drilled a 3/8" hole that was around 3" deep. From there, a quick trip to the bandsaw to cut away the section where the sound would exit. Next up, I turned a dowel that was 3/8" diameter to act as a jam chuck of sorts. Putting the blank on the dowel, and bringing up the tailstock for required support, I began turning it down into the shape you see below.

Afterwards, i took a 3/8" poplar dowel and flattened one side less than 1/16" to allow for the air to pass into the whistle. The first attempt failed and wound up drilling that one out, then took the flat side to about 1/8". Inserting this into the whistle, i left about 1/2" on the outside so i could grab to remove for further "tuning".

The ones we did at Stomp were not very loud, and you had to hold it in a certain way to get any sound at all. This one worked much better. So I took a small dab of TB, and applied to one side of the insert. While I had the insert long enough to use to hold, I rubbed on some Tung Oil finish.. After the finish and glue dried, I cut off the insert to the end of the whistle.

Not factoring in the time to cut the blank and section out, nor the time to make the jam chuck, flattening the dowel (multiple times), I spent about 15 minutes creating this one whistle. That also included applying a finish. I took it very slow as I used some burled cherry stock, so I did not want to blow it out by being aggressive with my turning. I did not use carbide tools, and I did not have to sand after using the skew chisel.

20180926_130949.jpg

20180926_130911.jpg

20180926_130835.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am glad to see you working on this. This looks like a workable project. Suggestion - make a few more and then have a few members make one and hopefully the design will evolve into a very kid friendly project. The light sabers, that Outreach has probably helped kids of all ages make upwards of a thousand, started out this same way. The light saber is a simple project but I must have made at least ten before I showed it to the group and then they improved it to what it is today - same can happen here

Thanks for doing this Neal

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think that's great. Thanks for picking up on this Neal. If you would like we could get together at my place one day and I'll show you how I produced mine and maybe we can come up with some new ideas.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I have made a pile of whistles. Mine are designated as duck calls and I drill the air hole instead of cutting it. They can be a simple project but I go the extra mile and make them very complicated. But I tend to overthink things. :gar-La;

Try drilling your next one with 1/2” instead of 3/8”.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I drilled with a 10mm bit, and the fit is much better.

I broke 2 in the process of turning them, i changed the jam chuck, and one snapped while in the process of turning. The 2nd broke when trying to fit the dowel in before changing to the 10mm bit.

I had cut the slot both times. I turned a 4th after channing the bit and jam chuck and it came out much better. The jam chuck moved in the process, and presented some wobble, so it is off center. I used a Japanese pull saw to cut the section out. For these, i did not precut the section out, used the carbide tools, and this seems to be a safer option for kids.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think that's great. Thanks for picking up on this Neal. If you would like we could get together at my place one day and I'll show you how I produced mine and maybe we can come up with some new ideas.

Thanks Richard, that sounds like a good plan. I'll get with you for a time that works for both of us.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have made a pile of whistles. Mine are designated as duck calls and I drill the air hole instead of cutting it.

I'll give that a try as well.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I like the 1/2” because I have a 1/2” expanding mandrel in my collet chuck. Makes turning them much easier.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Neal I have a whole bucketfull of blanksforthese...Iwill bring them to King next Sat

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the 1/2” because I have a 1/2” expanding mandrel in my collet chuck. Makes turning them much easier.

Can you point me to the collet and mandrel you use?

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Collet chuck is from Penn state industries. The mandrel is from river mallard. Webfoot also has a mandrel. Or a cheaper but shorter mandrel can be found at enco in their arbor set. I can post links this evening if needed. A quick google of webfoot and river mallard should yield results. They are both geared towards the call making world.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Took Phil's advice, created a few more whistle style's, some turned out better than others. All were cut with carbide tools from the Outreach trailer (except for the very first one- cherry burl). Due to differing wall thicknesses, cutting the section was difficult for me.

The actual turning is not difficult, and goes faster than the light sabers. Depending on a wooden jam chuck could present issues as it allows the piece to slip while turning. Not giving up yet.

20180928_203531.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think I can help you with that. But it'll be easier to show you. I'll try and post something on Sunday, I'm getting ready for my workshop this morning.
by the way, those look cool!

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The Deweys use hot glue to hold small pieces onto jam chucks. Then a heat gun to remove it. That could work for gluing in the thistles too.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Neal came by the shop this morning to pick up the replacement parts for the Outreach lathes.

He brought the whistles for me to see, they look great and some are really loud, all seem to be pitched differently.

I think this is going to be a very popular project for the kids.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I think this is going to be a very popular project for the kids.[/QUOTE]

Popular with the kids, yes; but major headaches for their parents! :cry_smile

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think this is going to be a very popular project for the kids.

Popular with the kids, yes; but major headaches for their parents! :cry_smile[/QUOTE]

That's when the whistle "get lost'! ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS