While the site was down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I did a little work in the shop. I have a new box still being finished to post later. And a new cutting/serving board design.
I went into Baroke http://www.barouke.com/ in Wilmington this weekend, and among the other awesome inspirational designs I saw these serving boards. I was challenged by their construction, so after several hours of head scratchin' (no NCww'er site to post my questions on :crybaby2: ) I came up with a plan. I tried my theory out with paper cut outs and it worked...so on to some scrap wood.
Here is my rendition of the serving board that I saw. Now that I have the system figured out, I will make a few design modifications and try out some new formats.

curvey_cutting_board_002.jpg

I'll buy a beer for the first person who can tell me the process I used to make it. It isn't an inlay, it's a lamination, Cherry, soft Maple and Purpleheart.

Dave:)

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
I'll take a stab at it. You cut straight cuts of wood together, then glued them up in a butcherblock method. Then you cut the designs out with a bandsaw into the "warped" squared. Then offset the squares to make the pattern. Kinda sorta like this....

Geez... am I even close?

M

McRabbet

Too easy, Dave. Three layers -- one of each wood held together temporarily and sawn simultaneously. Take them apart and reassemble in the order shown on top. I suspect you would put the purpleheart in the middle of the final sandwich. Very pretty, by the way. Nice work.

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I know the process, but I won't tell. Don't want to let your secret out!:neener:nice server!

edit:

beaten to the punch. I will go with Rob's answer, probably using your bandsaw for the jig cuts..

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, you are very close. You've got this part right " Then you cut the designs out with a bandsaw into the "warped" squared."
But you are a little off with the " You cut straight cuts of wood together, then glued them up in a butcherblock method."

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Too easy, Dave. Three layers -- one of each wood held together temporarily and sawn simultaneously. Take them apart and reassemble in the order shown on top. I suspect you would put the purpleheart in the middle of the final sandwich. Very pretty, by the way. Nice work.

Rob

Rob, you are closest (except for Pete..who won't tell :lol: ) But the Purpleheart wasn't in the sandwich.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll buy a beer standing next to you :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know I would buy you a beer any time, but in this contest close doesn't count (that's hand grenades, horseshoes and atomic warheads, where close counts :D)

gator

George
Corporate Member
Rob, you are closest (except for Pete..who won't tell :lol: ) But the Purpleheart wasn't in the sandwich.

When you made the original sandwich you left the edges square so you could have a flat edge to clamp with when you assembled the boards. The PH is thin strips that you just put between the big pieces when you glued/clamped them together. After it was all dry, you cut the outline on the bandsaw and then edge glued the outer band of PH using the cut-off as the outer part of a curved lamination clamp.

George

R

rickc

When you made the original sandwich you left the edges square so you could have a flat edge to clamp with when you assembled the boards. The PH is thin strips that you just put between the big pieces when you glued/clamped them together. After it was all dry, you cut the outline on the bandsaw and then edge glued the outer band of PH using the cut-off as the outer part of a curved lamination clamp.

George

Sharp! Even if Dave-O didn't use that technique, I think it is a great idea!!! I am starting to plan out my Christmas gifts for this year, and that sounds really neat! Good for a lot of "oohs" and "ahs"!

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'll take a stab at it. On layer of each wood that are stacked and cut at the same time. Lay them out on another peice of wood and glue them to the underlayment board as show. Use a router with a 1/8" bit to route the channel that the purple heart is inlayed to. You should have a matching board somewhere with the reverse species orientation.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Well, Dave... I'm clueless as to how you made that serving board... I'll buy you the beer. The board is truely beautiful.

Ray

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
No matter how you did it................that is one sharp looking serving board Dave.:icon_thum

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bingo, Mike you hit it right on the head. The key to me is the kerf of the BS being filled with the PH strips. I was going to show the other board later if no one guessed the process, because the picture of the complete inverse of the pattern will explain it all. The only other thing to add to your description is that it was laminated in two glue ups.
I owe you a beer :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Plane two boards, one cherry and one maple. Use double side tape to hold the two boards stacked together. Cut puzzle pieces on band saw. Interchange pieces of two boards to get checkered pattern. Insert thin strips of PH. Glue up. Cut out handle, round corners, round over all edges. Sand and finish.

Let's see the other board!

That would be really neat if the center parts formed the shape of a fish.

Gee Mike -

That was what I was trying to say, you just said it better.:) :)

George

George, I'll buy you a beer also :-D

Gee.........I was going to say the same thing too. You better make it a six-pack Dave.:lol:

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors