Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I'm thinking about a new lathe, and need to get some input from you all. I'm looking at two at Harbor Freight and can't decide which one would be the best. Here are the two

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65345

and

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45276

If you've used either one or both and have comments good or bad I'd like to hear from you. My intention is to turn pens and maybe other small items, and would like to have a chuck on it so I can turn bowls. I have an old Atlas lathe that has served me well but can't use currently made chucks, and is wearing out, so I thought I'd supplement it with one of these.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Talk to Ted (TedAS). He may be able to hook you up with a gently used HF lathe, which has yielded some great items for him.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
the 65345 may be ok but the other one is a boat anchor on every level. rebuild the atlas!:icon_thum It is 10 times the lathe either of these horror fright lathes are. JMHO... YMMV

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
No HF

I had a harbor freight lathe. It was okay, but my enjoyment in turning went way up when I got a Jet midi lathe. On the HF lathe, the lock downs and mechanisms were crude, belt access difficult, alignment a problem and the ground surfaces rough. The Jet improved on all of those areas.

I bought my Jet before the Turncrafter Pro came out. The TP has gotten good reviews and looks identical to the Jet. I am probably going to buy one soon.

Good luck.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Thanks for the input, I've dropped one from my list so I'm down to one H-F lathe, or maybe I'll keep saving until I can do the Jet lathe, which is what I'd prefer to do anyway. I'd just hoped to find something a little quicker. Maybe I should search for a slightly used Jet somewhere? :icon_thum

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
What Rob and Eastwood said, and it is the best of the three. I had one for a short time and it is just okay. It's the most lathe for the money but suffers from a cheap motor.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Neither, I would go with this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706

Several on this board have it and have had great results with it.

I am with Rob I bought this lathe about 6 weeks ago you can turn outboard on this one if you have a big piece.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/new-toy-gloat-23591/?highlight=steelwheel1999
Here are some pic I took when I bought it. I love it low speed 600 rpms 33 between centers(see if some one has a discount cupon)
Good luck Mark

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I can't swear to the model number, but it looks a LOT like it, and I am not impressed.

Be forewarned though, I am NOT a turner.

newtonc

New User
jak
I have commented on the second one many times now.
I got it around 2001ish for less than $50 from a clearance catalogue.And I think I paid to much.
It's made of sheet metal and flexes everywhere.The motor bends back and the bed arcs up when you tighten anything down.
Within a month of getting it I took it apart and simply used it for the sanding disc.But even that is garbage because the rest on it never stays tight and moves around.So don't expect to set it up at a 90degree angle.
I honestly haven't touched it in years and have considered putting it back together and giving it away myself,because the sander isn't even worth it.When I start running out of room I'm sure I will.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Ok guys and gals, I've pretty much decided against going with the harbor Freight lathes totally, and likely will save some more money and try for something higher end. My next questions are on the Rikon mini lathe and the Jet mini lathe that klingspor sells. There isn't much price difference between them, the Rikon being cheaper, but is there any real quality difference, and is the extra money worth it? I've got a Rikon band saw, and like it. Does anyone here have the Rikon lathe, and if so what do you think of it? I've seen several jet lathes around so I'm sure that is a good machine. Honest opinion on them please. Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors