Which woodworking job do you hate most?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Making dust free, the rough end processing area so I can use he same area for spray finishing.
Although what Phillip Cooper pointed out is true with me also with the minor exception of using potassium dichromate on cherry and mahogany.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use to hate that also, but got a Bosch RO which in aggressive mode removes material so fast, it makes short work of sanding. I use 150 grit throughout, start in aggressive mode and then switch it to fine mode, which finishes fine for a clear coat. Also great for flattening table tops in no time. I have the one in the video, which is now obsolete and dread the day it may die, as the new model looks a bit weird.

After using this, I threw all my other RO’s away.

In aggressive mode, one has to hold on.

Is this the newer version?

Woodmolds

Tony
User
I guess I'm the odd man out, but I enjoy finishing(spraying). As long as I'm using lacquers or shellacs.
I don't enjoy finishing sanding. I hate rough lumber prep, not the processing so much as handling the lumber.

My mom always said she liked the finish sanding, because it means you're closer to the money!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Hey, I resemble that! :cool:
By special breed, I mean a good installer has years of experience installing cabinets and knows all the tricks of the trade.

We have two guys who each installs alone and they will do a 25k kitchen in less than two days. It will take me a week or more to do that.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
By special breed, I mean a good installer has years of experience installing cabinets and knows all the tricks of the trade.

We have two guys who each installs alone and they will do a 25k kitchen in less than two days. It will take me a week or more to do that.
Then you are doing the right thing, it’s called staying in your lane. ;)

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Sanding. Not only is it ornery but it is also slow to get it right. And yes I have several hand sanders; a large Grizzly edge belt sander; and a Jet Performax.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
How about cleaning out your cyclone dust collector bin, only to find out that the bin has overfilled and tons of shavings got sucked up into the filter. This situation is only theoretical mind you:oops:
Well... I was smart enough to put a bin sensor in. It failed. Going to do another of course. I was also thinking about rigging a cheap multi-tool up as a filter shaker. Hook the shop vac up to the port and shake.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have this in the 5" size. Very aggressive in 'turbo' mode.

Also surprisingly well balanced despite it's shape/design. It can be used with one hand on the top grip in 'normal' (aka not turbo) mode. In 'turbo' mode, hold on with both hands or bad things will happen.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-GET6...eywords=bosch+ro+sander&qid=1655845428&sr=8-6

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
How about cleaning out your cyclone dust collector bin, only to find out that the bin has overfilled and tons of shavings got sucked up into the filter. This situation is only theoretical mind you:oops:
Oh yeah. Last time that happened to me I cut an 8" diameter hole in the shop wall and vented outside. NO MORE FILTER! If I forget to empty the collection barrel now, I get a temporary mess in the yard that usually gets taken care of by Mother Nature, or the next time I mow.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Painting, specifically spray painting and having to clean the spray gun. Staining is not so bad to me since I can throw away the applicators and rags.
Sanding is no fun but not very bad since I got the Festools. I still use my Dynabrades some but the dust collection of the Festool is superior.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Painting, specifically spray painting and having to clean the spray gun. Staining is not so bad to me since I can throw away the applicators and rags.
Sanding is no fun but not very bad since I got the Festools. I still use my Dynabrades some but the dust collection of the Festool is superior.

Agreed once I got the Festool it really changed my view of sanding, it's actually a bit soothing to my OCD to see surface go from rough to smooth.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Agreed once I got the Festool it really changed my view of sanding, it's actually a bit soothing to my OCD to see surface go from rough to smooth.
I fought the Festool sander idea for years based on the cost, but when I couldn't find a sander that had the features I wanted outside of the Festool, I broke down and got one. Well, the price was long forgotten about once I started sanding with it. I knew it was a good tool, but just didn't know how good it was, now I'm sold. Still a tough price, but they are a great tool!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS