Which One Would You Keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippymbr

New User
Update your profile with your name
First off I apologise if this is the wrong Place. Mods pleas move this if you want. Here is my question. I now have 2 table saws and only need one. The one I currently have is my beloved Delta contractors with the 30 inch Unifence. The one I have inherited is a Jet supersaw with a 50 inch fence. Both have their good points and bad points. I wish I could have the best features of both saws in one. The one I do not need will be going up for sale here soon. So, which one would you pick and why? Thanks for your helpful suggestions and comments.

clowman

Clay Lowman
First all, I think this is the right place for this question.

Second, what model numbers for the saws do you have? I'm just wondering if the supersaw is a contractor version or cabinet version...

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looks like a tough choice between the two. I think I would lean more toward the Jet based on just a little bit more power and for the wider table extension.

You mentioned that both saws had things you liked and disliked about them. What were some of them and how important are each of the features to you?

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would agree with D L about more power, inboard motor, and the left tilt of the Jet, plus the larger rip cap. But I am not sure how the fences compare, the unifence is a very good one, the Jet, I am not familiar with the Micro-glide style.

My $.02, Dave:)

zippymbr

New User
The Delta has basically no dust collection, but the Jets collection is not that great. The fence on the Delta is much more sturdy but the Jet has a larger rip capacity. I have never needed a 50 inch rip. Maybe in a cross-cut set up it will come in handy. The delta is quiet and esy to replace a belt if needed. Replacing a belt on the Jet can be a real pain. The Jet is much heavier with a larger cast iron area. It is hard to make the Jet movable. I rigged an HTC universal stand to work for the Delta. This would never work with the Jet. One big favor in the Jets corner is that my Dad had already set up the side table as a router table with a custom fence. I will prob keep the Jet in my Dads memory, but I wanted to hear some different opinions.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I would probably opt for the Jet provided you feel the fence is "solid enough". More rip capacity is meaningless if you can't count on the fence to remain accurate. I can't imaging that you would need to replace a belt very often unless something is badly out of alignment. I have nearly 10 years on the linkbelt on my TS with no changes and that saw has seen heavy use. The larger rip capacity is nece when you need it but I also like the ability to slide the fence out of the way when using a crosscut sled. Before I upgraded the rails, I had to remove the fence whenever I used the sled. The built in router is a nice plus and you can buy a mobile base designed for saws with extensions.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Perhaps you could move the Unifence to the Jet. Delta makes a 50" Unifence so you could get the rails and mount the fence on the Jet and have the best of both worlds.

George

zippymbr

New User
gator said:
Perhaps you could move the Unifence to the Jet. Delta makes a 50" Unifence so you could get the rails and mount the fence on the Jet and have the best of both worlds.

George
Good thought, How hard would it be to sell a saw without a fence?

T

toolferone

Sell the Delta with the Jet fence on it. I like this idea the best. The Jet saw is a good saw but I have never liked the fence on it. I do like the the Unifence a lot. A new unifence rail is what you need.

zippymbr

New User
Mike Davis said:
Or you could have my old Delta contractor fence. I got a better one from Nick, just haven't made the swap yet. If you want it we can figure out how to get it to you.

I have a couple pick ups to make in the area in the next few weeks, so we can probably get er done if there's no hurry.

That would be great! Maybe I can swap something with ya.

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
If you have the room, keep them both, set one up with a dado and the other with a regular blade.

DavidF

New User
David
frigator said:
If you have the room, keep them both, set one up with a dado and the other with a regular blade.

Nooooooo... Don't get me started..:lol: :lol: :lol:

zippymbr

New User
frigator said:

I wish, my garage/shop is multi purpose. we actually park cars in there when I do my detailing and repair work. Maybe I can add an addition onto the garage for the extra saw. :lol: That sound is my wife laughing. The house gets the addition first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors