When users want to be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Over the last 3 1/2 years we have about 5 or 6 users request to be deleted. We have never actually done the deletion. For the most part we just ignore the request and the person starts to come back in time.

However, when the request is made the people are angry about something and proceed to delete their pictures and/even their posts. Which really shouldn't happen. So I would suggest we do something different.

Ban the user to the Suspended usergroup as a permanent ban with a reason of User requested deletion. This way they are still in the system but they can't delete their stuf or cause other problems.When they want to come back, they can just request re-instatement.

I just did that with Jeff

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I agree as to their posts. Are you planning on applying the same policy to their gallery. The posts in threads are no longer theirs once they put them on a public forum. However, there photos might be another matter. I have been thinking about deleting a photo in my gallery for security reasons.

Doug

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think that's a good policy. It will also give people a chance to cool off before they get destructive, something they might regret later.

Finally, I think we have to comply with a user's request to have his or her info removed. By suspending the user, the user won't be visible, achieving the goal.

I don't think we should take away someone's ability to delete photo's. It's possible people go Captain Destructo on their galleries and only ask then for a user ID deletion - not much to do about that.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ban the user to the Suspended usergroup as a permanent ban with a reason of User requested deletion. This way they are still in the system but they can't delete their stuf or cause other problems.When they want to come back, they can just request re-instatement.

Yes, we've had that happen before :rolleyes:

Roger

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I actually deleted jeff as he requested. I had a long telephone conv. with him this afternoon He gave a good reason why he needed to be deleted, so i did.

BTW, FredP was over at my house today. No real issues, probably will not be posting for awhile, but he's not mad. All's well.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I actually deleted jeff as he requested. I had a long telephone conv. with him this afternoon He gave a good reason why he needed to be deleted, so i did.

BTW, FredP was over at my house today. No real issues, probably will not be posting for awhile, but he's not mad. All's well.

It's funny that you came to the same conclusion as I did, by the same/similar methods. I also spoke with both today (probably getting tired of hearing from us forumites) and got the same information. I am glad to see that as JimmyC would say all is happy in Shang-ri-la :roll::roll: again

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, I won't pretend to figure out Jeff :nah:

I was hopeful Fredp would be back. He was by my place a couple of times recently and everything was hunky dory. Certainly glad you guys had a chat and that he will return. :icon_thum

Roger

M

McRabbet

I need to agree with Roger regarding Jeff. I suspect he as sold many thousands of dollars of very good wood to NCWWers and this seems to be a "cutting off his nose to spite his face" kind of move since we are his prime customers. I'm sorry to see him go, but it is his choice. I just hope for his sake he gets over it and comes back.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
He is back already with a new account and a new username. Do I really understand, no.:dontknow::icon_scra:tongue2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS