What's the coolest thing you learned from NCWW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'll start the testimonies - Hi, my name is Jeff :)

Seriously, what is the coolest thing you leaned from NCWoodWorker.net? Be sure and credit those who taught you :)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Too many to list, but I would say turning, and there are a lot of folks to credit.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Jigs and how to build them. Hats off and many bows to Joe Scharle

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Do I agree? Heck ya!!!!

In addition. This guy has pulled me out of many, many woodworking and tool setup jams!

I have to say that in addition to Joe, there are many, many folks here that have taught me a whole bunch through all the great posts. (You too Jeff have provided a ton of great info as to what to look for in wood purchases!)

Thanks to all!!

Wayne

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I have learned that people with a common interest will go out of their way to help each other. I have received personal help and education from many members on this site. I get a new piece of knowledge each and every time I log on.

Joe Sharle- Jigs, electrical wiring
Tar Heel- Wiring
DaveO- Turning(pen making)
Fred P- box making
Scott S- green insulation
Touchwood-finishing secrets
Earl- Tool Making, segments

Many more that go unlisted. Thank you all.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
There is so much that I have learned from here I don't know if I can begin to say. One thing that does come to mind is I'm not the only one that screws up:gar-La;

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have to agree with all you all - but for me one thing stands out, that's how much pride people put into their woodworking - Brian those aren't screw ups, there design modifications.

Dragon

New User
David
Been on this site now for less than a year and I've learned a lot more than I have contributed for sure. Many thanks to all of you that have taken wood off my hands and brought me wood and other gifts. I know the stuff has marketable value but I just can't bring myself to ask for money from my fellow woodworkers for stuff that only costs me a little time, sweat, and chainsaw gas. :icon_thum:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eek:ccasion1

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hard to pinpoint one landmark thing that I've learned. Maybe a little off point, but probably the most valuable thing to me is all the people I've met on the site. I've made a lot of friends and learned about some valuable resources, both knowledge base and materials. Our WNC Woodworkers Association grew out of friends we have made on NCWW. I've met a lot of NCWW who also enjoy using (and collecting) old tools and hand tools, and several have joined MWTCA and increased my friends there. So without a doubt, the people I've met would be the premier thing I've gotten from the site. :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Rob said "Just try it" Sounds simple enough, but it is something I am trying to use not only every time I step into the shop, but every day in every thing.:eusa_clap

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The Social Aspect of Woodworking !

I too, vote for the meeting of members that have a hobby ,or profession, that is similar to mine. I can buy wood from anywhere such as Steve Wall's, or take a class at Woodcraft, or learn from website's such as Woodweb, and I do still use those outlets. But buying wood from anyone on the site (and there are many sawyers and kiln operators), doing learning classes from people recommended here, and in general asking questions and having them answered on this site is what I like best. Lunches, woodruns, extravaganza's, and having questions answered are much better when you know the source and it's not only business.

Meeting people on this site and finding out how great it is to have all of this local and friendly talent is the coolest thing that I have learned from this website !

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Besides a wealth of knowledge about woodworking, the coolest thing I've learned are lessons in life. :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I learned that people who call you friend will leave you in the dirt :gar-Cr and people who you never noticed will step up and do great things for you. :icon_thum

I learned it's OK to be a hybrid woodworker. :swoon: Hand tools can mingle with power tools. :icon_thum

You can NEVER have enough clamps. :no: But you CAN make as many as you need. :icon_thum

And mostly I learned that there are some fantastic people right here in North Carolina, even if they don't know what good BBQ is. :rotflm:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
A certain Ed gave a certain lesson on pen turning that led many of us astray to the dark side!

Thanks Ed!

bwat

New User
Bill
I've learned that there are a lot of people here with similar interests and although I haven't met them all, all I have met are genuine and willing to share their knowledge and friendship. Very cool! :icon_thum

b4man

New User
Barbara
If I were to list every person and every lesson I've learned in the last 3 1/2 years of making this my cyber home all of you would block and delete me from ever posting an epic again!

However, I must point out a few friends I've made that have rescued me several times from my own self destruction. Then too, there are the ones that were kind enough not to humiliate me after making a complete fool of myself.

Oh yeah, then there are the friends who have prayed for me and checked in on me thru some pretty dark times...

I've learned hand cut dovetails from Rob,(McRabbit) even tho I was taking a class but could'nt seem to 'get it'. He took the time and made sense to me.
Thanks again Rob.

I've learned how to sharpen anything because Mike Davis is a great teacher and friend who never has given up on me!

I've learned how to scroll because Cathy Skipper 'made me"! Now I love it.

It's not right for me me to leave anyone out but about the only way to include every name would be to go to the members list!

I am proud to be a member. I love so many of you deeply and I am most grateful to Steve Coles for his vision and his perseverance to grow us into what and where we are today. Dave O is amazing as well. Bas and Doug are wonderful techie's keeping us going. So many others.

Thanks Jeff for starting this. I was delighted that you finally started something other than trouble!:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Oh, one more thing. I miss you DL, please come back!

Barbara

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I forgot to remember what i remembered to forget.:rotflm: oh and you old codgers are cool!:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors