"What's New?" Not working....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Hey Folks!

I've been in the habit of using the "What's New" button to see new activity since the last time I was logged in. The last several times I've tried to use it it said "Sorry, there is no new content to view. You may search for content posted during the previous 24 hours, here".

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,

Travis

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Travis,

It would appear that you reloaded the page rather than actually clicking on the "What's New" button.

Whenever you click on the "What's New" button a new search query is run and the results are used to generate the page you see. This cached search is good for approximately 2 hours. If you inadvertently refresh the page after that 2 hour window you will get the error you saw above because there is no longer any cached data for your original request. In this way, this particular page works very different from any other area of our site and refreshing the page does not refresh the content on this page.

Any how, the solution is to simply go ahead and click on the What's New button.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I get the same thing using Firefox 14.0.1 in Linux Mint 12. Could it be that when I hit the "what's new" button it goes to cache instead of pulling a new version?
I have just been using the "new" button in the middle bar.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Your web browser *shouldn't* be fetching it from cache, but if it is broken in some way it might do so.

The Query String changes with each request, which should be enough to keep a properly behaved browser from caching the new result whenever clicking on the What's New button.

I've frequently used a somewhat out of date copy of Firefox (as well as Konqueror) on Linux without any issues, but if you are running some sort of IDS then that could result in unexpected behaviors (if you don't know what IDS is then you probably are not running such).

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Nope, I use the "what's new" button that's in the menu bar. It consistently happens regardless of session or computer (over several days both on my home and work computers). I usually use chrome but I just tried it in IE and had the same behavior. does that help?

gator

George
Corporate Member
I always use 'Whats New' and it works for me using Firefox. I just used it now (5 minutes ago) and it worked.

George

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you are using a web browser with a Mozilla core, you may wish to try further tuning your web browser per the instructions on this page (set caching strategy to #1, rather than the default #3). Do not make any other changes while in this configuration screen (nor can we assume any liability for such changes).

In the case of IE, you can go into Internet Options, General Tab, Browsing History Settings, then change the caching strategy to "Everytime I visit the web page" and save.

However, I (and many others) have been using the site very heavily the past few days -- in my case with IE9, Google Chrome and, especially, Firefox v14 with absolutely no issue (and the default #3 caching strategy in the case of Firefox/Mozilla). I literally hit the "What's New" button a hundred-plus times each day and I have not had a single fault, which suggests that there is likely something unique about the environment you are surfing within.

If you make these changes and *still* have caching issues, then you almost certainly have some sort of Internet Security Suite (or the like) *or* an ISP that is implementing HTTP (web) caching and you will have to address such at the source since they are external to NCWW. Currently, everyone exhibiting behavior that could be explained as caching-related are NC Road Runner customers -- whether there is anything to that commonality is unknown.

If other users have recently experienced this issue and are beyond certain that they *clicked* "What's New" and did not accidentally reload/refresh the page (or clicked on a different page tab after your page expired) then I would encourage they also report here. If enough other users can report repeatedly experiencing this behavior then perhaps you all can share enough about your setups, browsers, security suites, and ISPs to find the one commonality you all share in common, which will most likely also be the root cause.

FWIW, to the best of my knowledge there have been no recent changes to the NCWW site that would explain any sort of change in behavior with regard to the "What's New" page, so if the problem has only persisted for several days that could suggest something as simple as a software update to a security suite or a change on the part of your ISP (especially if they are running any sort of proxy) that you all may share in common contributing to this issue.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Just a note on What's New.. If you visit a thread and you click on the WN button that thread will not show up until a new post is posted.. Just to make sure that you know this..

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I should probably also suggest that everyone clear their web browser caches (via whatever mechanism is provided for your web browser) to ensure your web browser's cache has not become poisoned in some way.

Occasionally something will happen to poison a web browser's cache that can then result in undefined behavior on the part of the web browser.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
*** UPDATE ***

Well, first off, I'm going to have to eat a little crow here, so please make sure it's well done, Ok? :)

I've been up a good deal later than intended tonight through this morning, but I have finally managed to track down the cause of your issue with respect to the "What's New" button returning an empty result set. (For those reporting a Classifieds access issue, this is an entirely unrelated issue -- sorry.)

It turns out that, I believe, some months back a plugin (an add-on) for the site was installed that enhanced the functionality of the "What's New" section by adding the option to include new Articles, Group posts, etc., in the "What's New" results (i.e. more than just forum threads).

Well, everything will work just fine *until* the first time a user edits their configuration via the "General Settings" page. This plugin adds a new configuration item to the "General Settings" page that is easily overlooked and whose settings are not automatically preset to match the default behavior that this plugin defaults to when a user has not defined any custom settings for this feature. The default (when unconfigured) is to include ALL possible Content Types in the "What's New" page. However, when you access the "General Settings" page for the first time after this plugin is installed, it instead defaults to a selection of NO Content Types and, if you don't alter this setting (I mean, how could you even know -- I didn't!) and save your other changes to "General Settings", then your "What's New" page has now been configured to "Search for Nothing Of Any Sort" (i.e. an empty result set).

This probably wasn't what you, or anyone else, would want, but this is what happens. I mean, what use is a "What's New" page that intentionally returns an empty result set because it is now configured to "Search for Nothing of Any Sort"? This reflects a fundamental flaw in the logic of their user interface because it should have continued to assume that, unless you *specifically* elected to alter the selection of Content Types, you would want it to continue searching on "All Content Types" for the "What's New" section.

FOR THE MOMENT I HAVE DISABLED THIS PLUGIN. So do not go looking for the Content Type selection on the "General Settings" page as it is not there at the moment (it will return later).

Steve, or myself, will fix the flawed logic in this plugin's user interface (likely in the next few days) so that it behaves appropriately without any special action (or concern) on the part of the user when editing their "General Settings" options. Once this fix has been made we will then re-activate the plugin once again to regain its extended functionality.

Until then,
the "What's New" button will properly display new threads in the Forums area, but will not display new Articles, Group Posts, etc., until the plugin can be re-activated.

This means that it should now be working for you (per it's old behavior) for the moment. We'll then fix the flaw and re-activate the plugin to regain the extended features and, if all goes well, you should not have this problem again -- at least not until the next update to the plugin (aarrgghhh!!!).

My sincere thanks to everyone for taking the time to report this issue!

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
WhooHoo! Thanks Ethan, that was some excellent detective work! I know how hard tracking down a non-repeatable issue is. For the record, the first thing I did this morning was click on "What's New" and I was delighted to find a whole list of threads for me to read. Also, I did recently go into my settings to check a few things. It was so trivial that it didn't occur to me that the button stopped working following that but now that you mention it that lines up exactly.

Thanks again!

Travis

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
FYI: I found "What's New" to be broken again when I first attempted it his morning. I remembered what Ethan discovered about the plugin and went to my settings and selected all content. It's now working again but I thought I'd let you know in case other users have issues.

Travis

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
FYI: I found "What's New" to be broken again when I first attempted it his morning. I remembered what Ethan discovered about the plugin and went to my settings and selected all content. It's now working again but I thought I'd let you know in case other users have issues.

Travis

I think the solution is still bugging Steve. I'm sure he'll eventually restore things once again.

FWIW, I had to override my settings temporarily as well, I'll restore them to NULL later.

gator

George
Corporate Member
If it helps: My 'Whats New' has been working up until this morning. I went to 'General Settings' and under the box "Content to appear in New Content search" the following are listed - Events, Posts, Group Messages, Articles, and Static Pages. I try to click on any one of them and nothing happens, no pop-ups, no drop down menus, nothing. I assume that as long as they are listed that they are the ones needed.

George

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
My Whats New tab was working a couple of hours ago, but now appears to be broken.

Maybe Under Construction?

Wayne

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I reset my field back to NULL about 10-15 minutes ago and found that it is working normally again. I guess there was some sort of transient glitch with the server (or SQL?) for a short period.

Hopefully it has resolved for everyone else as well. If not, please feel free to report that you are still experiencing an issue.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As i was writing this, it is working again. The problem is that the defualt parameters we set to none. How did this happen I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors