What wax for hand planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I'm not talking about the "prevent rust" wax job, I'm talking about the "it's getting harder to push so it needs some wax on the sole" wax.:icon_thum I've seen paraffin mentioned and also seen some kind of sticky paste wax used. What do all you hand tool aficionados use?:dontknow:

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I went to the Dollar Store and bought a package of "Emergency Candles" and just scribble the bottom of the plane like a crayon. It seems to work well. Canning Paraffin works also but it is not as convenient as the candles.

James

sash plane

New User
steve
I use some Ole turtle past wax for the car.... wipe on...let dry.... buff....it is slick as a eel..... I use it on the top of my Ole Table also.... it does make a diff.....

4yanks

New User
Willie
None would be my answer. In my opinion the potential finishing problems that could be caused by wax outweigh the benefits. I have used mineral spirits to keep the the sole of a plane clean and slick when planing SYP and it works well. Overseas I have seen craftsman use kerosene for green wood. If the wood is not green or sappy and you are still having problems I would suggest a lighter cut. If you decide to use wax I agree with the above posters that paraffin would be the best choice.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Jim Kingshott (of english handtool infamy) uses a "smidge of linseed oil" on a wick.

He draws his planes across the wick for lubrication.

Many other "big names" have said they don't know where the wax or lubrication goes, but it never affects the finishing or gluing.

Imagine hand sawing without a bit of paraffin on the plate?

I would be sure there is no silicone in any of the wax mixes you consider. Silicone is the exception, it will ruin wood for finish.

I've used Johnston's paste wax, as it was handy. Works like a dream.

Of course, my other skills fall short, but my planes were easy to push :)

Jim

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Thanks for the great responses. I've been using a stick of beeswax I got at Woodcraft, but I think I'll pick up some paraffin and give it a try too. :icon_thum

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
I just use Johnson Paste Wax. I apply it with a gray Scotchbrite pad which removes the resin and sap the tends to make the plane sole sticky. Then I buff the sole. Seems to last for a month or so but I don't plane that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS